Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

LS1 upgrade or downgrade?

I just had another thought. With flooding, and the vehicle being never really warmed up you could have a build up of soot around the valves and the top compression ring. I've seen this give some strange compression readings. I used to give them the kerosene treatment ( hey, that's what my pappy always called it.). You need to do this out in the open cause it will make a couple tons of smoke. You take a quart of kerosene get the engine good and warm and try to keep it in the 2000 rpm range. Very slowly start pouring the kerosene down the carb throat. Do Not Let It Die. When you have run approximately 2/3 of the kerosene through it you can go ahead and let the engine die but don't pour anymore kerosene in after it kills. Leave the car set overnight start it up the next day keep it running until you don't see anymore kerosene smoke coming out of the exhaust. Then drive it varying the rpms between 2 and 4 grand for about 15 minutes. This will take the soot and any buildup of carbon out of the top end. Then I would usually put fresh spark plugs in and do an oil change. I have heard of people doing this same thing with ATF and water and getting the same resultss, but I've always used just straight kerosene.

I just had another thought. With flooding, and the vehicle being never really warmed up you could have a build up of soot around the valves and the top compression ring. I've seen this give some strange compression readings. I used to give them the kerosene treatment ( hey, that's what my pappy always called it.). You need to do this out in the open cause it will make a couple tons of smoke. You take a quart of kerosene get the engine good and warm and try to keep it in the 2000 rpm range. Very slowly start pouring the kerosene down the carb throat. Do Not Let It Die. When you have run approximately 2/3 of the kerosene through it you can go ahead and let the engine die but don't pour anymore kerosene in after it kills. Leave the car set overnight start it up the next day keep it running until you don't see anymore kerosene smoke coming out of the exhaust. Then drive it varying the rpms between 2 and 4 grand for about 15 minutes. This will take the soot and any buildup of carbon out of the top end. Then I would usually put fresh spark plugs in and do an oil change. I have heard of people doing this same thing with ATF and water and getting the same resultss, but I've always used just straight kerosene.

I had the 350 rebuilt already.
Got the whole 9 yards done to it.
Painted black. Looks good :)

I had the 350 rebuilt already.
Got the whole 9 yards done to it.
Painted black. Looks good :)

Alright! Fire that baby up and drive her down here it would be a good shake down cruise and I would like to see the little jewel.

I made some changes to the setup.
I'll have it running again tomorrow. Need to install seat belts, double check every thing. Then I need to take it for inspection and get it registered.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back