Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Lurker coming in

Stopping in for more than a quick read on a needed topic; figured I would say hi too.
Located north of 49, in Red Deer, Alberta Canada...about halfway between Edmonton and Calgary.
Bought a little Bucket a few years ago and still trying to work the bugs out of it so I can enjoy ripping around without worry. It was a little more 'disco' and I changed out the wide radials and real tall windshield for some smaller stuff.
In this area we need some highway time to get anywhere, so she has to run at 110 km/hr without grief. Anyways, if this forum is like any other I belong too, pictures are king...here is my hello.

The Bucket is real steel, the box is steel too, just hand made. Not 100% sure on the chassis, but I believe it to be a welding project of the original owner/builder.
We call the Bucket 'Duke'.
Cheers,
Greg
...um, picture will be delayed I am told.

Welcome to the forum. I think you have to post 10 times then you can load pics ( correct me if I am wrong) Sounds like an interesting car.

Mmmm Florida, Been there and got a few T-shirts...nice place to have and enjoy a T-Bucket!
Jay; where where you from around here? Better yet, what are you calling home now? Or maybe you playing snowbirds? My betterhalfs parents have been doing that for about 13 years now, still not interested in slowing down!
Pretty soon I should be able to get some pictures up.
Thanks for the welcome-in.
Greg

CDNFlatlander welcome from another former Red Deerite. Lived there through the 90's now in Eastern PA. As you said need some serious highway time to get anywhere. Hope all goes well with your build.

Greg I'm from Edmonton originally plus I spent a few years in Calgary. I moved to Louisiana 10 years. The oilfield work is much more stable, the cost of living is about 1/2 and there is no snow. :thumbsup:

Thanks Guys! Hmmm, south and no winter...all sounds great up front!! Haha.
The Car, I bought as a runner, needed some TLC. It was a gross day and stars in my eyes, we took the rig for a rip, the road and weather were horrible, so no desire to crank it up hard, but it handled well at 50 km/hr. It leaked a bit, the interior was a bit 'over-stuffed' for my 6' frame. Bought it and trailered it home; it hadn't been on the road for about 11 years when we got it....or so.

A couple weeks later the weather was much nicer and we took out the little weapon for a rip, got 1 km from the house and getting it up to speed I found that the front axle hops, not straight up and down, but one side at a time. Whoa! This occurs at 79km/hr Balls are not big enough to drive through it as it is violent through the steering wheel. Take the wheels off, check for true & balance. They said nothing required, even discussed that it really hasn't been driven much over the last bunch of years, look for flat spots. No problem, no concerns they said.

Still hopped side to side. Changed wheels and tires out from Fat N Skinny radials on directional mags to skinny Bias white walls on solid steel wheels. Same, exactly the same condition at exactly same speed; used GPS.

Changed front tube axle, spindles and such; including pulled front end back, shorten wheel base, 5". I had this new front end components from a previous project, new parts. Now exactly the same this occured at the same speed! Caster and camber checked, considerably different than the way the car was when I purchased.

No front axle shocks, also no pan hard bar. Now I am not always right, but I believe that if I jam shocks into the build and it does go away, I haven't corrected the problem just hid it. The panhard bar, I can be convinced that it should be in place, so that is the next component for the install towards a driveable car.
Here she is as it is today, no not today 'cause there is lots of snow :-(
A picture of myself taking my mother-in law for a rip!

Attachments

• P8010015-lg.jpg
    P8010015-lg.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 16
Here is the evening that I brought 'Duke' home....long story on the car name....
PA240012.jpg

Straight axles have a tendancy to bounce on light vehicles, and shocks of some kind are needed. Mechanical or hydraulic, your choice.Most all have experienced this on their builds I think, and rare was the case when the axle was worn where the kingpins go through. I had one like that, but was a different bounce alltogether.

Why the masking tape on the head light rings in the lower picture, the Avatar? They seemed to be chrome in the upper picture.

Jim

Tha
Why the masking tape on the head light rings in the lower picture, the Avatar? They seemed to be chrome in the upper picture.

Jim
t didn't take long...I missed the tape before I posted that picture, haha.
The picture was immediately after we welded on the new spring perch, 5" closer to front x-member; the tape was protecting the chrome from splater and grinding sparks....I missed removing before the picture. Yup, I was pumped that we finished before the weekend was up.
Greg

Tha

t didn't take long...I missed the tape before I posted that picture, haha.
The picture was immediately after we welded on the new spring perch, 5" closer to front x-member; the tape was protecting the chrome from splater and grinding sparks....I missed removing before the picture. Yup, I was pumped that we finished before the weekend was up.
Greg

I figured that there had to be a reason and you answered my question.

Jim

Greg,
Keep us informed as you work through your axle hop issue. I have the same or at least similar condition with my bucket wit a solid tube axle. I have axle hop only on the passenger side at about 50 - 60 MPH. I have friction shocks and I've been considering changing to regular shocks. As a side note, I also get excess tire ware (outside edge) on the side that hops. After hearing what bpickett said, I think I might try the shocks.

I definitely like the new wheels and tires. Very old school and classic looking. Nice little ride!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back