Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Metal or Wood for a floor low on space to my door?

Davethenewbie

Hi guys I'M new to the T-Bucket site but After getting a project bucket I new I better do sum searching around for sum help lol.I'm starting the floor and its 3" channel floor but some reason 3/4 " plywood will be up in the door area so I was thinking about using steel to do my floor but don't know how good that will work since for sum reason I see everybody uses plywood wood any thoughts?

How far up would the top of the 3/4" plywood come in the door opening?

How far up would the top of the 3/4" plywood come in the door opening?
Good 1 1/2 I was thinking about doing steel and if anything put 7/16 plywood on top over the steel if need to be.Just not sure if there is any advantages or disadvantages to using just plywood

I'd just use the plywood, and cut out a small door well similar to what was done with a lot of trucks. Glue and screw a 2-by under the area where the cut out will be...make the cut out...then glue and screw a scrap of plywood across and under the cutout area.

A second thought would be to cut the bottom off the door, and glass the cut-off lower piece back into the body. Make the cut at a height where the cut-off will go in with its top flush with the new floor. If you do this, don't simply cut straight across the door, cut a radius at the two corners as it probably was originally.

A disadvantage of using steel is bonding to the plywood body. Plywood is easier and perhaps stronger to glass in place.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back