Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Mid engine planning

So I’ve been saving up a bit here and a bit there to build a t and while originally I was planning on using some sort of inline 6, I wanted something a bit more…unique (and possibly cheaper) and that got me thinking about FWD 4 bangers (maybe even a v6 since a coworker of mine is thinking about selling his celebrity) but I can’t seem to find any dimensions on the K members. I’m figuring that it should be relatively easy to weld a mounting bracket and bolt the whole assembly k engine transaxle. Does anyone know someone/where I can find this out? Also I’m leaning toward the Celebrity (he’s hoping to get around $500 for it) and I could probably make that money back on parts and junking whatever’s left

Do you have welding and fab experience? You will need both to do that. It’s not a big deal with engineering experience or at least the desire to learn.

My father does. I’m more worried about dimensions lol. I’d rather not have to do anymore fabrication/frame alteration than necessary. We’re actually going to slap some new rocker panels on his truck when or if we both ever get a weekend off

Many FWD communities have similar thoughts..."I'll just drop the whole subframe out and bolt it into X"
Thats all great in theory, but you run into unique problems.
Disclaimer...the engine in my Avatar is a FWD engine so I'm not trying to talk you out of anything, just accept going in that it's a bad idea.
-Typical McPherson FWD front end suspensions are hard to adapt to a T. Not impossible, but certainly hard. You have to fabricate the equivalent of strut towers and upper motor mounts into your frame...that means duplicating the donor cars dimensions. All of that could be thrown out the window in favor of a 100% custom suspension, but its still just as much or more fabrication that way.
-If you do figure out how to make the stock suspension work, the spring rates will most likely be way too stiff. Thats not unusual in a T, but it sucks.
-Those McPherson setups don't typically have much room for big tires normally favored on a T. That could be gotten around with offset and/or spacers but its still another problem to solve.
-Those FWD suspensions are UGLY. In a T, you would want to hide the whole thing unless you do a custom suspension and make it look good.
-Modern engines bring modern problems...lots of sensors, wiring, ECU's, and emissions controls that again, are UGLY. Making the whole package attractive through wire tucks and camouflage is an entire project in itself.
-Exhaust requires creative solutions...modern engines need catalytic converters and O2 sensors...where do you put them in this application?
-Cooling system...the radiator is normally kept close to the engine but if that's the case, where do you put it and how do you make sure it gets enough air flow? If you put it in the front, do you need a supplemental coolant pump? Maybe a bigger radiator?
-Resale value will be essentially nil. Nobody but you will ever want this.

All of these problems (except resale value) can be solved with enough creativity, time, and money and I would love to see it done. The best bet is always going to be start with a complete running car...you need something that works before you start taking it apart if you want any hope of having it work after you put it back together. That will also allow you to get the geometry right for the strut towers and upper motor mount.
Here's some inspiration...Go do it!
Rear engine.jpg

-I wouldn't bother with an off-the shelf frame. You will have to modify so much to work it won't resemble what you bought at all by the time you're done.
-Speaking of big tires, FWD transmissions and diff's aren't meant to drive big tires. You will have to be gentle if you go that route.

If your donor engine is fitted to ANY car that is RWD, you would probably find using the RWD transmission in a traditional configuration would be a lot less brain damage, and far more likely to actually make it out of the garage in one piece some day. For example, those GM V6's should fit with an S10 drivetrain. Those are cheap and readily available. You might even be able to use the S10 frame (wild guess, don't assume I'm right)

If this is your first major project, KISS can't be emphasized enough. The sharper your learning curve, the more you need to set yourself up for success.

even a v6 since a coworker of mine is thinking about selling his celebrity, but I can’t seem to find any dimensions on the K members. . . .Also I’m leaning toward the Celebrity (he’s hoping to get around $500 for it) and I could probably make that money back on parts and junking whatever’s left

Why not just build a cool little T-bucket around the Celebrity V-6? Should have enough beans to move that Speedway chassis/body kit down the road smartly. Easier build and more smiles per mile! Plus something a little different between the frame rails. :rolleyes:

Will not work. X member and suspension much wider than T-Bucket frame and body.
Frankenstein T is what you would have. CF of car parts. JMTCW
Use Spanky's idea. I built one with a Dodge V6 and a 5 speed manual transmission.

Will not work. X member and suspension much wider than T-Bucket frame and body.
Frankenstein T is what you would have. CF of car parts. JMTCW
Use Spanky's idea. I built one with a Dodge V6 and a 5 speed manual transmission.
That’s what I was trying to figure out. There’s NOTHING on measurements (that I could find) eh maybe I’ll stick with my original idea of a trailblazer i6

The Pontiac Fiero had a v6 engine. The Chevrolet Corvair had a 6 cylinder engine, The Toyota MR2 had an inline 4 cylinder engine. Your best bet would be a Chevrolet Corvair engine & transaxle. Probably the easiest to install. Hope this helps.

I believe you can get a swap kit for a chevy V8 to bolt to the corvairs transaxle. Go to Corvair owners clubs (websites).

That last picture looks like the old Crown conversion. It adapted the small block to the Corsair trans.

I believe you are correct longjohn. IF a 90 degree v6 was used instead , you would have more room left for the driver & passenger.

So maybe 10 years ago at GoodGuys held in Atlanta, I saw a t bucket with a VW bug engine/transmission under the turtle deck. The front had a hood which covered the extended interior and extra foot room. I wondered about using other engine/trans combos. On a Locost forum, I found drawings for a rear engine mounted square tubing chassis. It used a fwd setup as a mid engine. Something like that could be adjusted for a bucket body. Using either a turtle deck or extended pickup bed, you could possibly hide an engine. If you want to go crazy… using a GM V8 with a GM 425 front wheel drive trans mounted in the rear is another option…. That was my idea but that idea eventually died.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back