Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Mike's bucket project

mikesplumbing

Well, I figure I should start a thread on my project. Not sure what to put on here first so I guess i'll just put a couple of photos that show the retro look i'm going for. The look/paint isn't for everybody but I think it'll turn out pretty sweet.

Mike

here are some interior options i'm thinking about. It's just plain metallic vinyl.
spacer.gif

Something to consider Mike, I intend to replace my old interior in the very near future and while the old vinyl was easy to clean it's also very hot. This time around I'm thinking of cloth. I don't know if you intend to put a top on your bucket, I don't have one and I'm telling you when the sun is up at high noon you can cook an egg on my seat.

um yea, vinyl is a really bad idea in the sun. since im in arizona vinyl is almost a no no here. although i do like leather which isnt much better.
Chaz

Yeah, that's a darn good point. What can I do to really get that retro look for my project. What was the hot set up in the 60's and 70's?? Any ideas? I want to make it really retro, I want it wild as I can get it.

Mike

I dunno--I'm diggin' the flake vinyl! We are starting a new T project and its gonna have an old school 60's theme. Purple metallic paint with metallic silver powdercoated frame and suspension. The interior will probably be silver metallic vinyl with purple trim accents. All with a true 60's 283!

I think I'm gonna go with cloth. I found a place here in Texas I want to check out. They were at the Goodguys show here this weekend. I will ket you guys know about them.

Eric

I never liked cow hide with the hair still on it. LOL
I will post there website info later today. They seem to have some pretty unique stuff.

Eric

Look at the material the boat guys use. very plyable and stands up to the weather very well. For a '60's theme i would think an off white with contrasting inserts and piping, kinda like old t'birds.

Ron

That's a good idea Ron. I don't want to compromise comfort and smarts for looks alone otherwise I could end up with something I don't enjoy.

Mike

Well.....if official, I own a rear end for bucket. I almost bought a an earlier model S-10 axel for $50 which is a good deal in itself but in a last second phone call I ended up with something different.

What I bought was a 1999 S-10 rear axel assembly complete with drum brakes, drive shaft, emergency brake set-up, and a top mount cable actuated gas pedal assembly. He wanted $75 and I didn't even bother to chew him down. I could tell in the phone conversation his family was hurting for money and he needed the money pretty bad. In between a couple of service calls this morning I met him and gave him $150, what the hell, everyone needs some help once in a while.

Anyhow, I plan on picking it up Tuesday night so I hope it's a good one because I havn't seen it yet but figured I could get it to work no matter the condition.

Mike

Maybe its just me, but I live in the sunshine state and I have no problem with my vinyl seats being too hot. Sometimes my wife complains but I figure that a woman is a little more sensitive than a man. With the common afternoon showers that we get from June through September, I would much rather have vinyl than cloth. Cloth is a lot harder to keep clean and dry than vinyl (especially if you tend to sweat a lot) and when you are a "clean freak" like me that is very important. IMHO

Jim

Great deal and an awesome gesture Mike!. I always say that the hot rod and Harley guys are the most generous and considerate folks on the planet. I think it is because we are regular hard-working folk that have experienced both the good and bad times.

Well Ben, I figure even at 150 it's still a good deal for all that. I don't think i'm a very good business man either though. It's kind of like this.....1/2 my service calls I end up feeling bad for people because in this economic environment so many people are working part time or have lost jobs and taken new ones for half.

So I look at it this way, I can always pay my bills and as long as that's happening it's good business to help a brother out. Actually it's more than good business, it's the American thing to do, that's what makes this country so darn cool.

Anyhow, as it turns out, the guy called me back and said he may know where a C4 transmission is that a friend of his has..........moral of the story.....Ya never know what life can bring and I like to be on the good side of the fence not to mention I sleep well at night.:D

Take a look at this forum even, all the advice has saved me a lot of money so far. And to have so many people offer such great advice ( that saves money) keeps me and the kids in good graces with my wife.:D So actually........if I think about it.......this forum makes my marriage better. LOL WOW, how's that for ironic!

Mike

I found these guys at the Goodguys car show this weekend. I don't know if there stuff is any good, but it looks good. They offer lots of options. www.larrydennis.com

Eric

Mike that is a great attitude, and I like the green metal flake vinyl it would go good with antifreeze green emerald paint with some bright white design,and white pleating on the seats. VERY :cool: :cool:

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back