Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

More questions about wandering

fordsbyjay

I was driving my bucket last week and the darn thing still likes to wander around. I am looking at ordering some radials to replace the bias ply tires but when I swapped some radials over last year for a day it did the same thing. I don't want to just throw money at this thing so I have a few ????

1. Does anyone know if TP kits/cars had new steering boxes or rebuild ones?
2. It seems that my car will drive straight when there is some tension on the steering wheel. The best example I can think of would be if it was pulling left a bit and you have to compensate by keeping light pressure to the right. Then it will take off to the right like it crossed over the center point of the steering box or something. It makes for an exiting drive which I don't really want to experience.

I was driving my bucket last week and the darn thing still likes to wander around. I am looking at ordering some radials to replace the bias ply tires but when I swapped some radials over last year for a day it did the same thing. I don't want to just throw money at this thing so I have a few ????

2. It seems that my car will drive straight when there is some tension on the steering wheel. The best example I can think of would be if it was pulling left a bit and you have to compensate by keeping light pressure to the right. Then it will take off to the right like it crossed over the center point of the steering box or something. It makes for an exiting drive which I don't really want to experience.

What's your caster and toe is set at now? any excess free play in the wheel (over an inch)?

Russ

The caster was originally 3 and I increased it to 9. It didn't make any change at all except making it much harder to turn corners at low speeds. I am not sure what the toe is right now. I had tried all the different settings I could find on the site here then I just started turning the tie rod a 1/4 turn and test driving to see if I could find a sweet spot. I never did find any spot that was better than another and I haven't measured it since to see where I ended up. As far as the steering wheel there is more play then I think is necessary that is why I was questioning the new or used steering box. I would guess about 1 1/2" play from memory.

The caster was originally 3 and I increased it to 9. It didn't make any change at all except making it much harder to turn corners at low speeds. I am not sure what the toe is right now. I had tried all the different settings I could find on the site here then I just started turning the tie rod a 1/4 turn and test driving to see if I could find a sweet spot. I never did find any spot that was better than another and I haven't measured it since to see where I ended up. As far as the steering wheel there is more play then I think is necessary that is why I was questioning the new or used steering box. I would guess about 1 1/2" play from memory.
Whoa stop right there 1 1/2 play?Not good at all Ron Pope usualy has rebuilt box's for sale or you prolly could send yours to him to rebuild.I have a Total car and have maybe a 1/4 play and it goes straight as an arrow the box i have is from Ron.

Whoa stop right there 1 1/2 play?Not good at all Ron Pope usualy has rebuilt box's for sale or you prolly could send yours to him to rebuild.I have a Total car and have maybe a 1/4 play and it goes straight as an arrow the box i have is from Ron.

Well when I get home I will actually measure it. I had ASSumed it was all new being a complete kit but we know what happens when you assume things. The car itself only has 400 miles on it.

Well when I get home I will actually measure it. I had ASSumed it was all new being a complete kit but we know what happens when you assume things. The car itself only has 400 miles on it.
Do you know the process of adjusting the box?Maybe thats all it needs.

Do you know the process of adjusting the box?Maybe thats all it needs.

I agree. There should be a slight tight spot in the center of travel in the box. The steering should be set up so that this spot is in the straight ahead position.

Make sure that the car is aligned and square and don't forget to look at the rear suspension. The rear can bump steer, too. The radius rods, 4 link or hairpins should be set up to give neutral axle movement. Basically, they should be parallel to the road.

FWIW - I'm running radials with 8 degrees of caster and about 1/8" toe in. Also running a steering dampener from CoCal Speed Shop. Vega box. So far it drives good.

Mike

I would think 1/8" toe is a bit much on such a light front end, I like as little play in the wheel as you can get... :) Steering is #1 next to brakes. :)

HMMMMMMM........... Well, it might be, but it works and I haven't noticed any tire scuffing or accelerated tread wear( after almost 6000 miles) so I guess I'll leave it alone and just drive it.:thumb:

Thanks

Mike

Total used rebuilt boxes in their kits. We supplies several to them right before they closed up. If you will email me your # I'll give you a call and walk you through adjusting that box.

tbucket@comcast.net or you can call me if you like, I'll be in shop just about all day tomorrow. 865-932-7541

I have 2 question if I may. 1. What is the caster and 2. How easy is it to adjust the reverse corvair steering box.
Thanks for your input.

I have 2 question if I may. 1. What is the caster and 2. How easy is it to adjust the reverse corvair steering box.
Thanks for your input.

Caster is the tilt of the king pin in the axle front to back. The king pin looking at it from the side of the car needs to be tilted back about 5-7 degrees. This tilt keeps an upward pressure on the spindle and steering keeps the car tracking straight. Keep in mind that the more caster you put in the front end the harder the car is to steer.

The Corvair steering box is not that hard to adjust. It does need to be adjusted tight. If you can turn just the box by hand it is way too loose.
I'll hunt up the GM Corvair manual and get the exact specs and do a how too on the adjustment of this box and Mike may want to put it in the library of tech articles.

Caster is the tilt of the king pin in the axle front to back. The king pin looking at it from the side of the car needs to be tilted back about 5-7 degrees. This tilt keeps an upward pressure on the spindle and steering keeps the car tracking straight. Keep in mind that the more caster you put in the front end the harder the car is to steer.

The Corvair steering box is not that hard to adjust. It does need to be adjusted tight. If you can turn just the box by hand it is way too loose.
I'll hunt up the GM Corvair manual and get the exact specs and do a how too on the adjustment of this box and Mike may want to put it in the library of tech articles.

Just to add a bit. Caster also allows the front wheels to self center after a turn. That is they should go back to straight ahead without any input to the steering wheels. I have driven a T that had to be steered into and OUT of a corner. Its a nightmare and V dangerous.
gerry

Total used rebuilt boxes in their kits. We supplies several to them right before they closed up. If you will email me your # I'll give you a call and walk you through adjusting that box.

tbucket@comcast.net or you can call me if you like, I'll be in shop just about all day tomorrow. 865-932-7541

Thanks for the offer Ron. I will be in south Florida for another week or two so it won't be today.

My steering wheel has about 2 in of back lash before it moves left ot right or right to left.
Is that to much. It seems like it to me. Any help would appreciated. I got my steering
box from Total.
Thanks for your help.

With that much slop in the wheel, I would say that there is something way wrong between the spindle steering arm and the steering shaft with steering wheel attached, there are many places where things could be loose, check all connections and u joints and steering box, to find the problem before it finds you... I would not drive the car on a busy street till you correct this...

I believe its the corvair steering box. The play is between the steering wheel and the steering box. I've welded a spline coupling to the steering shaft. The play I believe is from
the reverse corvair steering box. The rest of from the pitman arm on is good.

Well I know all my joints are tight because I just replaced them all with 5/8 Aurora rod ends and 1 1/16 tubing from Ron. One thing I thought about last night that might be part of my problem is when I increased my caster it moves the pitman arm back turning the steering wheel. I re-centered it after but I wonder if I am off a tooth or two causing me to not be centered in the box when I am driving straight. Obviously this doesn't effect the excess play in the box but maybe it contributes to why my car will drive straight if there is some tension on the steering wheel either left or right.

Just wondering..........................................

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back