Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

motor idea

putz

Has anybody ever seen the Gm 3.8 liter engine out of olds 98 in a bucket. It would have to run with sensors but they where pretty quick and good on gas.When they put them in they would keep up with a camaro 0 to 60.

If and when my GM 60V6 kicks the bucket I'd love to switch to a 3.8...especially if I could get one of the super charged versions from a Park Avenue. We're on our 3rd LeSabre with the 3.8, and I love those engines.

They also put that 3800 in Camaros from about '96-02. Sounds like one of those might make a good donor.

I met a fella that comes to a cruise night occasionally that has a 3.8 out of a buick and it is quick. It would be a good engine for a t.

I had a 3800 in my 02 LeSabre. Those engines are very dependable, produce plenty of power and good on fuel all at the same time. Another engine that I'd like to see would be the Quad 4. These little 4 bangers produced as well. I had one in a Beretta with a manual trans and it was fun to drive. They did come with plenty of problems though. If someone could get the bugs worked out, they would have a sleeper for sure.

I had a 3800 in my 02 LeSabre. Those engines are very dependable, produce plenty of power and good on fuel all at the same time. Another engine that I'd like to see would be the Quad 4. These little 4 bangers produced as well. I had one in a Beretta with a manual trans and it was fun to drive. They did come with plenty of problems though. If someone could get the bugs worked out, they would have a sleeper for sure.
I worked for gm at the time the quad 4 came out. Who ever thought of putting oil filter in oil pan should have been castrated so they don't reproduce.

I know of a couple of people that have them out of the Buick Grand Nationals, and they are sweet. My only complaint with the V6 motors is the guys that want to run them have to pay out so damn much money on the speed equipment on these motors.
Whether its a V6 or a I6, you gotta pay the extra bucks....
Thats why I enjoy doing lake pipes and custom intakes for those little monsters.

Yea, I had heard that part about the oil filter in the oil pan. Take that filter crap outta there, tap into the oiling system, and run a remote filter.
Thats like the folks running those Merc's in those midgets....

Last edited:
I know of a couple of people that have them out of the Buick Grand Nationals, and they are sweet. My only complaint with the V6 motors is the guys that want to run them have to pay out so damn much money on the speed equipment on these motors.
Whether its a V6 or a I6, you gotta pay the extra bucks....

Rule #1 It costs money to go fast

I agree with ya Jimbo....but damn! You can build a stout 350 for the money a guy has tied up in that V6, and its not even warmed up enough....hahahaha....

Mileage on the v6 pays though. And in buckets people like different.

I learned my lesson, a v6 in different but a v8 is cheaper to work with and in a light tbucket mileage will be good.

Another engine that I'd like to see would be the Quad 4. These little 4 bangers produced as well. I had one in a Beretta with a manual trans and it was fun to drive. They did come with plenty of problems though. If someone could get the bugs worked out, they would have a sleeper for sure.

There's a source for Quad4 speed parts out there (www.quad4rods.com). Dress it right, strip off the plastic coil cover, set up dual Webers and you have a nice looking engine that resembles a vintage Offy. Of course, it costs twice as much as running a crate 350, but . . .

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back