Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Motor Mount Placement Measurements

dodgewade

I know this has been asked several times, but I cannot find it in a search,

Need to know what the measurement is from the front edge of the frame to the center of the motor mount for a sbc engine. Also for a bbc which maybe the same since it has the same mounts.

Thanks,

I got the 15.95 from the center mount to the back of engine flange where the bellhousing bolts up. I need to know how far back from the outside of the frame on the front to the center of the mount is.

Thanks,
That's going to vary a lot. On one of my cars it is 25 1/2", the other is 31 1/2".

Jeff

th_SBCDimSide.jpg
I got the 15.95 from the center mount to the back of engine flange where the bellhousing bolts up. I need to know how far back from the outside of the frame on the front to the center of the mount is.

Thanks,
SBCDim.jpg

Wade, the number you are asking for will usually vary unless you are working with a kit or a specific set of plans. If you are working from scratch you may need to mock up the body, radiator etc. and work from the firewall forward to make sure of your distributor clearance. JMO.....Ron (ruggs)

th_SBCDimSide.jpg

Why 6" difference? What is different between the two?

Thanks.
Part of it is due to 103" wheelbase vs. 114" wheelbase, part is purely aesthetic. The frames were made by different people, the cars have different body lengths, a different look was desired, one radiator is mounted further back than the other (for no real reason) and so on.

Jeff

Thanks for the info. Gives me a starting point.

Wade

You are going about this a little backward. You need to have the body mounted then measure from the firewall forward. As has been pointed out the frames are different lengths. It also depends on what kind of mounts you will run. On the chassis we build the rear of the block is 2" in front of the firewall. It would be best to have a block and trans to set in the frame to mock up your mounts.

You are going about this a little backward. You need to have the body mounted then measure from the firewall forward. As has been pointed out the frames are different lengths. It also depends on what kind of mounts you will run. On the chassis we build the rear of the block is 2" in front of the firewall. It would be best to have a block and trans to set in the frame to mock up your mounts.

Will the 2" give room for the HEI dist.? This makes more sense.

Will the 2" give room for the HEI dist.? This makes more sense.
The back of my block is 2" from the firewall and the back of the cap on my HEI sits 1 5/8" from the firewall.

JIm

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back