Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Moving the fuel pressure gauge

Bubblehead

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Hello all. I've decided to go with a butterfly type scoop on the car (I have liked the looks of them since I was a kid watching the drag racers). I am going to have to move my fuel pressure gauge to do so because the current one sticks up too high and is too close to the carburetors for the new scoop (see pictures). I have ordered some 1/8 NPT plugs for the hole where the gauge is now, but would kind of like to have the gauge somewhere else. Any ideas out there? Oh, by the way...what is a good way to seal the plug (looks like the gauge has teflon tape on it and not sure that is the right answer). -Glenn

Attachments

• Fuel Pressure1.jpg
    Fuel Pressure1.jpg
    814.5 KB · Views: 53
  • Fuel Pressure2.jpg
    Fuel Pressure2.jpg
    598.3 KB · Views: 53
Put a 45 or 90* male to female fitting in the same hole. That will move the bezel farther out from the scoop and use the same hole. Teflon paste is less likely to leave a stray piece in your carb.

The fitting in the inlet [mpt to a/n] in the front of your fuel line can be had w/a 1/8" pipe access in it. Swap one of those & mount the gauge horizontal .easy , quick .
dave

Good idea guys. I have always had trouble finding those type fittings, any ideas there?

The fitting in the inlet [mpt to a/n] in the front of your fuel line can be had w/a 1/8" pipe access in it. Swap one of those & mount the gauge horizontal .easy , quick .
dave

Dave, the "mpt to a/n" thing kind of has me a bit confused (little new to the fuel line/pipe fitting stuff). What does that stand for?

Just a thought, use a 90 and a 45,...screw the 90 in there to get you a little bit away from the scoop, angled to a 45 degree angle, the use the 45 to get going along the fuel line to your rear carb. Run some line past the rear carb, get yourself a chrome fuel (or make a SS one) gauge mounting plate and attach right under the rear drivers side stud where you can see the thing while your driving....I'd even put a bulb in it and wire it up so you can see it at night.
I build motors and tune....that is my speciality, thats what I do. Folks think I'm crazy but there are 3 things I do.
1. I have 2 oil gauges, 1 on the motor where I can see it while tuning and during break-in, the other one in the cockpit, for the driver/pilot.
*On a race car, there are usually only 2 gauges, 1 is a tach, the other is oil pressure. On the nitro and alky altereds, only the oilpressure.
2. I have 2 fuel gauges, I run up by the carbs, looking up and out over the valvecover, so I can see it while tuning. I also have one where I can see it while I drive. (On my street cars, I use only 1, for going down the road).... If your gonna starve a motor, its gonna happen when its reved up a little.
3. A kill button on the firewall, just in case.

NEVER EVER, WHATEVER-YOU-DO, DO NOT RUN A FUEL LINE TO A GAUGE MOUNTED INSIDE THE COCKPIT! NO FUEL LINES INSIDE WHATS-SO-EVER! 1 Spark and your toast!

He meant NPT====National Pipe Tap Theads to AN fittings....

Last edited:
Thanks Screaming Metal, all great points (especially the no fuel lines in the cockpit thing).

Hahaha.....what I used to do and the tech guys at the NHRA events used to give me hell about it.....I'd mount the fuel pressure gauge on the rear blower plate like where Ron had the gauges on his car. I'd dis assemble the gauge to get the glass out, then I get the stuff like they'd put on the watch hands so you could see them in the dark....I'd brush that on the gauge face, so we'd be able to see it at night in the pits and on the track. Saves from having a bulb in there . (Now, I use a LED since its low voltage and cool)
They thought the eery green glow from that gauge looked cool, I guess....

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back