Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Mufflers for individual pipes?

PotvinGuy

Staff member
As you know, I have individual pipes:
Seymour+paint.JPG

I presently use small homemade 12" mufflers:
baffle.JPG

I wrap these in packing and stick them in each pipe. They help, but the noise is still most irritating.
I've been researching options, but there isn't anything off the shelf that looks better. The pipes have an ID of 1.6" and a straight section about 28" long.

Anyone have experience in this area? Any leads? Right now I am thinking of simply longer and better built glasspacks: A 1" perforated SS pipe 24" long:

amazon.com/LA-Choppers-Perforated-Stainless-Baffle/dp/B0041C96H6

with plenty of fiberglass and SS wool packing.

Last edited:
Internal baffles such as those are always a compromise. Yes, wrapping and playing with slot/hole locations, material...change the sound slightly. Just gotta play to get the sound right. And sometimes the restriction gets too much.
I've always had good luck the a large washer, about a 1/4" to 1/8" in from the edge a formed round tube of expanded/perforated metal about 5"-6" long, the, another washer to hold it center.
Wrap the fiberglass/packing around the expanded/perf. metal core, and wrap some SS wire around the packing to hold it in place.
I use 1 5/8" OD washers (Fastenal or Industial Supply), center thru holes in washers are 1 3/8" (Trimmed out w/plasma torch) with the 1 3/8 ID perforated/Expanded metal formed tube TIG'ed in between the washers. Tube length is 5 to 6" long. Or, just use a piece of tubing and drill holes in it for the core....
That is essentially a mini glass pack core.
Depending on how tight you wrap your packing, and the material used, it might sound a little crackly....

it might sound a little crackly....
Yeah, mine has that sound, even with a collector on each side. One of my priorities if I keep this car is to look more closely at the idea of installing one or more real chambered mufflers underneath. I'm thinking the collectors could be blocked off internally, then have inward-facing pipes attached leading under the car. Loud pipes are just cop-callers, and that makes it much harder to drive the car the way I really want. :whistling:

Jack

My car has the Big Block Ford, I have Lake Pipes and they have a tendency to get folks attention. I added a cable operated cutout into the end of the lakepipedownspout (2 1/2") to the bottom, went down, added mounts to the ourside of my frame since I had to redo my front suspension from that truck crunching my frontend. Mounted a pr of old BB Vette type sidepipes (SS),
It now has a serious rumble to it with lakes blocked off, I can now run either open or closed with a pull of a cable....
The sound didn't bother me, but I'm almost deaf from not taking care of my hearing. But I got stopped 2 times in a month because of the sound.

Anyone understand the theory behind SuperTrapps? Maybe a small version in each pipe would help.
Hahaha....I tried it building my Ford Exhaust....I had things in the shop reverberating, some of the guys covered their ears. They said it was awefully loud with the SuperTrapps. Megaphone muffler.... I finally go them to quiten down (inside lakepipe, but was way too restrictive). But the motor didn't want to rev too good. They are good motorcycle mufflers, and they are tunable by adding and subtracting disc's, add eough to quieten my BB, it chocked it down too much.

Where you have that
As you know, I have individual pipes:
Seymour+paint.JPG

I presently use small homemade 12" mufflers:
baffle.JPG

I wrap these in packing and stick them in each pipe. They help, but the noise is still most irritating.
I've been researching options, but there isn't anything off the shelf that looks better. The pipes have an ID of 1.6" and a straight section about 28" long.

Anyone have experience in this area? Any leads? Right now I am thinking of simply longer and better built glasspacks: A 1" perforated SS pipe 24" long:

amazon.com/LA-Choppers-Perforated-Stainless-Baffle/dp/B0041C96H6

with plenty of fiberglass and SS wool packing.
Where you have that vert. slot cut almost centered, cut there and cut 1" from the end. Roll a piece of expanded metal and weld it in place of that cutout section. Will have alot more dampening area.... Wrap it with asbestos and steelwool....

Have Super Trap on the 32. They seem to work fine and you can tune the exhaust note up or down. We have not changed ours in ages. The only thing I noticed were the screws rusted that you have to remove to adjust the sound.

Did you build those headers yourself? You have a blown motor and those pipes seem to small in diameter for it, should increase the diameter to 2"-2 1/8" just before the first bend (make it like a step or reversion header) The larger pipe will give you a bigger "muffler" body for more fiberglass packing and having it straight thru isn't going to quite things down, If you make your inside tube of your muffler the size of your existing outside and put a stainless steal screen with a 25% flow reduction in it might quite things down. IMHO

Did you build those headers yourself? You have a blown motor and those pipes seem to small in diameter for it, should increase the diameter to 2"-2 1/8" just before the first bend (make it like a step or reversion header) The larger pipe will give you a bigger "muffler" body for more fiberglass packing and having it straight thru isn't going to quite things down, If you make your inside tube of your muffler the size of your existing outside and put a stainless steal screen with a 25% flow reduction in it might quite things down. IMHO
Sanderson built them from my spec. They are 1-3/4 instead of the usual 1-5/8. Biggest pipe you can put on a SBC unless you use a Stahl adapter plate at the head. I've thought about that, going to 2" pipes, and they're on my bucket bucket list. Probably just try the longest glasspacks I can make for now.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back