Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

need front end advice

akitagandy

I am new to buckets,but my father would like us to build one before he gets to old and I have some parts laying around and wondered if I could use them like a front axle out of a 54 Chevy truck,Nova disc brakes,10 bolt Nova rearend.I am all about saving money.I am 48 and have built all kinds of race cars,I can build the frame and radius rods but I am nt to sure about the front end. Thanks Michael (Southaven MS)

Yes it can be done. You need some weld on bat wings to fit that axles and some plates to bolt to the spindles to use the calipers from the Nova. You will need to do a little machine work on the spindles also to make the wheel bearings fit. The rear end is a great choice.

Southaven?

We've got a few bucketheads down in North MS area, centered around Olive Branch but there's a couple in Southaven also.

That axle and spindles should work just fine... with some minor adjustments.

I am using the front axle out of a '65 Ford Econoline on my roadster. It was originally mounted with parallel leaf springs (like that Chevy truck) and I have converted it to radius rod mounting. On mine, I am using coil springs, but it would be a simple matter to use a transverse leaf. Don't worry about welding on the axle; it's forged steel, not cast iron.:lol:

Go here to see my batwings and modifications to the axle:
Another build thread? Yep, my track-style T - Page 3 - Club Hot Rod Forums

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back