Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Need Help Finding This T-Bucket

Zack

Ok guys, the story all starts about 1975 in Jackson, Ms. My dad started building a 1923 T-Bucket from scratch. It took him approx. 4 years to complete but when he did it was a show piece for the 70's era. In 1979 he sold the car to a friend just down the road from dad's business. In 1980 we left Jackson, Ms and moved to Laramie, Wy for a few years. Eventually we moved back to Jackson. I went to see the car and the guy he sold it to had stored it in a shop building where it sat collecting dust, dirt and grim. Years later i was told he sold the car to a man who lived at the Ross Barnett Reservoir in Jackson. This is where the car becomes a mystery. No one seems to know what happened to the car after that. I recently spoke to the guy who painted the car years ago and he said he saw a man driving it a couple years ago around the Jackson area (near the Jackson Airport). I am DESPERATELY trying to locate the car and i need your help. I watched dad build this car from nothing to a "World of Wheels" Show winner. It has a tremendous amount of sentimental value to me. The last time i saw the car (25+ years ago) it had tru-spoke wheels and a blower on it. If anyone has seen this car of has any knowledge of who owns it please contact me. I would greatly appreciate. I am going to assume the car is still in the Jackson, Ms area.

Identifiers are:
The color is a 1976 Cadillac Firethorn red, It has a BIG pinstriped letter "T" on the cowling area just below the windshield, solid brass radiator, the steering column is straight up as is the windshield. It has tan leather rolled and pleated interior with a solid walnut dashboard.

No luck tracking it by VIN or LP. Dad no longer has any records of that info.

These photos were taken at the 1979 World of Wheels Car Show in Jackson, Ms.

7.jpg

4-1.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Do you have any paper work with the vin on it? If so this would be the way to find the car.

I just recently asked my Mom if she had anything with my high school car (37 Ford) vin number on it but she did not. What got me to thinking in this direction was a show on TV where a guy traced down a Vette he had owned with the Vin.

Good luck!

Ok guys, the story all starts about 1975 in Jackson, Ms. My dad started building a 1923 T-Bucket from scratch. It took him approx. 4 years to complete but when he did it was a show piece for the 70's era. In 1979 he sold the car to a friend just down the road from dad's business. In 1980 we left Jackson, Ms and moved to Laramie, Wy for a few years. Eventually we moved back to Jackson. I went to see the car and the guy he sold it to had stored it in a shop building where it sat collecting dust, dirt and grim. Years later i was told he sold the car to a man who lived at the Ross Barnett Reservoir in Jackson. This is where the car becomes a mystery. No one seems to know what happened to the car after that. I recently spoke to the guy who painted the car years ago and he said he saw a man driving it a couple years ago around the Jackson area (near the Jackson Airport). I am DESPERATELY trying to locate the car and i need your help. I watched dad build this car from nothing to a "World of Wheels" Show winner. It has a tremendous amount of sentimental value to me. The last time i saw the car (25+ years ago) it had tru-spoke wheels and a blower on it. If anyone has seen this car of has any knowledge of who owns it please contact me. I would greatly appreciate. I am going to assume the car is still in the Jackson, Ms area.

Identifiers are:
The color is a 1976 Cadillac Firethorn red, It has a BIG pinstriped letter "T" on the cowling area just below the windshield, solid brass radiator, the steering column is straight up as is the windshield. It has tan leather rolled and pleated interior with a solid walnut dashboard.

No luck tracking it by VIN or LP. Dad no longer has any records of that info.

These photos were taken at the 1979 World of Wheels Car Show in Jackson, Ms.

7.jpg

4-1.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg
try going to your local paper in the town where you think it was at last and try to get them to put pictures on the front page with your story

If you cant find it build a tribute T to honor the original with your own touch. We can Help!!! Sometimes when you find something you lost you may be disappointed in its condition. So after the restoration you basically have a tribute to the original because what you found wasn't what you remember that started the search in the beginning.

In Kentucky, if you have a license plate number the clerks office can get the vin #. then with the vin number either the clerk or the state police can find the current owner. Good luck and a Merry Christmas.

CCR has some for sale on their site very good plans templates and all The author of said plans is our own uncle Ted Brown. 25 bucks for the plans and that includes a jag rearend setup
Ya know after looking at the pics those long rear radius rods look like CCR Ted What do you think?????

CCR has some for sale on their site very good plans templates and all The author of said plans is our own uncle Ted Brown. 25 bucks for the plans and that includes a jag rearend setup
Ya know after looking at the pics those long rear radius rods look like CCR Ted What do you think?????

All the radius rods were all hand built by dad. He hand fabricated every piece of this car except the front axle. This is another reason i would really like to find this car. So much of his blood, sweat and tears went into this car and i was right by his side every step of the way. I remember being out in his shop and he would use a hand file and smooth welds and stuff for hours until it was flawless. He spend many many nights doing nothing but filing and cleaning welds so it all would like like it was all molded together instead of welded. Guys, this car was the fast car i have ever been in. It has a LT1 350 out of a vette that was tricked out. It had a 12 bolt posi with 373 gears and 2 fours. Of course the car weighed nothing but i would fly. Today he and i laugh about the fact if the windshield was taken off just how fast it would really go, provided there was someone dumb enough to push it that hard, LOL. I am thinking about starting a fresh build on a clone of this car. Dad is still here and i am sure he can repeat what he did with the original car. I am thinking about starting with a Spirit frame, front-end and body. Their body and front-end appear to a dead on match for this original one dad built. Ideas???

I would like to mention that Bill (probably) changed the width of the original frame that I designed back in the very beginning. Mine was tapered front to back, I just noticed a while back that it now appears to be square, ft. to back... that just makes it easier to build, but does not help the looks at all IMHO, both too wide in the front and too narrow at the rear... Now that Bill has passed on, Diane and Jerry do a fine job of running CCR...

OK guys, I need some more help. Since i am seriously considering building a clone to dad's bucket. I have been able to replicate every part except the steering wheel he used. All he can remember is that he bought it from the Florida Rod Shop in the late 70's and that it has a 4" drop. It is brass with wood rings. Any ideas where i can find one of these?
Thanks,
Zack

Zack,

I have a Florida Rod Shop catalog from the mid to late '70s era. They only show one steering wheel. I would scan the page except the scanner has taken a crap currently. What they show is one that looks like it bolts to a 3 bolt flange just above the steering box. From that piece there are 3 round rods that go up and flare out to a circular ring that is the diameter of the steering wheel. The spokes are equally spaced and look like they might be about 18" long. There is a wooden face attached to the ring with 12 screws or rivets.

From the pictures that you have shown, this wheel doesn't match. What is shown in the pics looks more like a stock T wheel with much more offsett from the hub to the rim. I don't think that I have ever seen another one like that.

Gerry handmade a wheel something like this for the Yellow Fad. Search his articals.

I do remember seeing these advertised in the mags in the '70's but not who was selling them.

Ron

Yes, They are pretty rare from what i have seen. I remember dad buying it but i am not 100% sure it came from the Florida Rod Shop but i think it did. I know the radiator did for sure and a few other items. I would sure like to find this car or even the parts to build a clone. Thanks for all the help guys.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back