Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

new guy in Minnesota

Scot76

I've always wanted a T-bucket, but have never quite had the money to buy the parts for one. I am also into Harley's and I usually spend all my extra money upgrading or maintaining the bikes. I have a nice 2 car garage now and have collected a good assortment of tools so I am going to see if I can build a T-bucket myself.

I don't know how this will go over here because I am new but this is my plan:

1980 Chevette donor car to be used for front suspension, motor, transmission, rear axle, rear suspension, part of the dash and the steering column.

Home made 2 x 3 frame rails connecting front to back using all stock suspension and a portion of the stock firewall that has the clutch pedal, brake pedal and vin number. Possibly a portion of the floor pan that has the driveshaft tunnel.

I'm going to make the body out of steel wheel barrow buckets and some sheet metal added in here and there.

I bought a running driving car today for $325 with a title. I have about $75 worth of nice 2 x 3 steel in the garage right now so I'm about $400 into this thing. My goal is to build a home made T-bucket styled car that will get 30 mpg for less than $1000 including paint and tires.

definitely post pics :) sounds like a fun build .....but i would say the 1000 $ limit you have set is a bit low. if you want it to be safe and run and look good you might want to raise that bar a bit higher ...just my 2 cents :)

Scott ... We need to talk!!!! Where are you located? I'm in Owatonna. I'm Getting out of Tbucket building and have parts etc. Check your PM's.

Ron

You ever have had one of those days when almost nothing goes right? I had one today. Went down to pick up the car I bought yesterday, about 20 miles from where I live. I have the recently filled out title and bill of sale with me from yesterday to prove I own the car as it's not yet registered. It has expired tabs and is loud due to rusted exhaust. It's generally a piece of junk that most people would just take to the scrap yard.

I'm 4 miles from where I picked the car up and get pulled over by a sheriff and he's like "do you know why I pulled you over?"

I just laughed a little bit and told him I could think of a couple reasons. I explained my situation to him, gave him the insurance cards for all my other vehicles, the filled out title, the bill of sale ect. Told him I just bought the car yesterday and was trying to get it home so I can work on it.

The deputy comes back to my car, tells me he's not going to give me any tickets, and to get home and don't drive it again till I have it sorted out. I tell him thanks and proceed to start driving home.

As soon as I pulled away smoke starts coming up through the shifter boot. The car is now on fire! I pull over again and now the brakes don't work either as I'm trying to stop. I roll to a stop, shut it down and start climbing out. The sheriff is yelling "get out of the car! Try to pop the hood!"

So I hop out hitting the hood release on my way by, get outside and touch the hood to see if it's hot yet. It isn't so I flip it up and get the prop rod under it just in time for the sheriff to put the fire out with a fire extinguisher.

The results are minor fire damage, a big mess from a fire extinguisher, and a $108 tow home to my driveway.

I should have rented a car dolley.

I now have$492 remaining budget for this project. I'm going to buy a camera and start taking pictures of the dis-assembly. Is there a section to put project cars in progress?

You ever have had one of those days when almost nothing goes right? I had one today. Went down to pick up the car I bought yesterday, about 20 miles from where I live. I have the recently filled out title and bill of sale with me from yesterday to prove I own the car as it's not yet registered. It has expired tabs and is loud due to rusted exhaust. It's generally a piece of junk that most people would just take to the scrap yard.

I'm 4 miles from where I picked the car up and get pulled over by a sheriff and he's like "do you know why I pulled you over?"

I just laughed a little bit and told him I could think of a couple reasons. I explained my situation to him, gave him the insurance cards for all my other vehicles, the filled out title, the bill of sale ect. Told him I just bought the car yesterday and was trying to get it home so I can work on it.

The deputy comes back to my car, tells me he's not going to give me any tickets, and to get home and don't drive it again till I have it sorted out. I tell him thanks and proceed to start driving home.

As soon as I pulled away smoke starts coming up through the shifter boot. The car is now on fire! I pull over again and now the brakes don't work either as I'm trying to stop. I roll to a stop, shut it down and start climbing out. The sheriff is yelling "get out of the car! Try to pop the hood!"

So I hop out hitting the hood release on my way by, get outside and touch the hood to see if it's hot yet. It isn't so I flip it up and get the prop rod under it just in time for the sheriff to put the fire out with a fire extinguisher.

The results are minor fire damage, a big mess from a fire extinguisher, and a $108 tow home to my driveway.

I should have rented a car dolley.

I now have$492 remaining budget for this project. I'm going to buy a camera and start taking pictures of the dis-assembly. Is there a section to put project cars in progress?

Not to rain on your parade, but I spent $492 on base coat, clear coat, reducer and activator to paint my car. I guess my point is it is ok to be frugal but you must have a realistic financial expectation going into this project or it will get dusty in a real hurry as it sits. Good luck on your build.

Not to rain on your parade, but I spent $492 on base coat, clear coat, reducer and activator to paint my car. I guess my point is it is ok to be frugal but you must have a realistic financial expectation going into this project or it will get dusty in a real hurry as it sits. Good luck on your build.

Wise advice Grass Hopper!

Also remember safety is more important than building a real budget car.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back