Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

New iMac

bobs66440

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
I finally broke down and tossed my crappy PC in favor of an iMac. I had resisted for a long time but the endless bombardment of malware, adware, viruses and useless antivirus programs that slowed my computer to a crawl finally got to me for the last time. It didn't matter what antivirus program I ran (and I had them all), they were completely useless for removing most viruses. And they stop almost nothing. I would have it cleaned then it would be right back in a week.

I realize that Macs are not immune to all this, but the susceptibility is much less. And I purchased the GeekSquad full protection, so if anything happens to it or it gets a virus or anything, I just bring it in and they fi or replace it.

I don't like change, and there's a lot that's different, but it's relatively intuitive and it was much easier to set up initially than any other machine I've had. In any case, time will tell if I really like it, but so far so good...

My Christmas present to myself in 2007 was an iMac. It's not been that long ago, but Linux was still pretty rocky back then. And I knew that Windows was not the way to go, so I decided to go with the iMac.

For anyone who's never owned one, they are a beautiful piece of equipment. Fit and finish are first cabin on iMacs. And there is just something about the iMac keyboard that I really enjoy. Plus, it is hard to beat the minimalist footprint that the iMac has.

But it didn't take long for me to realize I was never going to fit into the iMac philosophy. Software was higher than a cat's back, and back then it was much harder to find. Within 8 or 10 months, the iMac was going ignored.

A couple years later, I realized there was a heckuva investment just sitting there, going to waste. I drug it back into the office, installed Linux on it and it became my daily driver, for a couple of years. I don't use it as much, these days, as it wants to resist every attempt to get Antergos Linux installed on it, but it still runs Mint 17, and is solid as a rock. If I can ever succeed at getting Antergos on it, that machine will get moved back out of the dark corner, no two ways about it.

If you can get comfortable with OS X, you will realize you have a mighty fine machine. Over-priced, to be sure, but still a well-engineered and well-constructed piece of equipment. It is just a matter of getting used to the UNIX/BSD-based operating system. Keep reminding yourself that OS X is not Windows, nor will it ever be Windows, and you'll find adapting to it will be easier for you.

What system did you buy? Did you go with a standard iMac, or one with Retina display? 21.5", or 27"? How fast a processor? Let's talk about the details, so we can drool over your new toy. :thumbsup:

I'm afraid I'm almost completely computer illiterate, so I won't be much fun to talk to, but it's the 21.5".
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-2...rive/5851991.p?id=1218695418256&skuId=5851991

So far I've gotten fairly friendly with it. And the fit and finish as you say is worlds better than any PC I've ever touched. I agree, it's expensive, but well worth the investment if I'm not getting aggravated every ten minutes.

I'll be spending some time getting acquainted as it has what seems to be lots of cool software to explore...

My son gave us an iMac with a 27" screen. We already had the wireless keyboard and mouse and with the entire computer encased within the 27" viewer it makes for a very clean installation.

Jim

My son gave us an iMac with a 27" screen. We already had the wireless keyboard and mouse and with the entire computer encased within the 27" viewer it makes for a very clean installation.

Jim
Yes, I was able to clean up the rat's nest of wires under the desk and make lots of extra room. It's amazing how they can get it all in such a small package. And having everything Wifi helps with that also.

Looks like a nice system. Decent processor, 8 GB of RAM and a 1 TB hard drive. That should be plenty of computing power for the average user. My daily driver has an i7 processor, but it is not as fast, so yeah, you've every right to be smiling. Nice Christmas present.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back