Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

New off topic project AA/gasser

Hi guys,

I just bought a stock 1954 Austin a40 pickup truck for about $1000. (US$550) and I think its time to make an AA/gas racer.

Body is close to mint - perfect for a project like this. Had to fight off a few Austin fanciers in the bidding, but they gave up eventually.

I have a spare 477 alky chev engine in bits, most of a spare 871 and a genuine Hilborn 4 pot injection from way back.

Project will take about 2 years to do so in the meantime I can race the bucket and see if I can get closer to a certain english bucket ;) that I reckon is way cool.

and very fast....

Ted, I will need some of your gasser knowledge.

Cheers
Todd

PICTURES ...we need pictures here ... :) PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!

Ron

Todd, For which project?? the T or the pickup?? hehe or both :wall: I myself would go back to a dependable STREETROD with the T Bucket, throw that roll bar in the pickup, along with that HOT engine... Then you can drive the T a ton more, make it FUN and comfy, not FAST-FURIOUS & BAD A$$.. :)

The truck is stock as a rock. The cab has been restored (the main bit I wanted) and the rest looks okay. So the photos will be a bit boring at the moment.

It will become a racecar in due course. Im figuring it will take about 2 years to get it onto the dragstrip. I have a lot of the necessary bits already, so we can mock up a lot of stuff.

Money is pretty tight down here too, and everything I get from the USA costs about 3 times your price by the time it gets here thanks to our weak dollar, freight and Govt taxes at this end.

Meanwhile, Im trying to finish two other hot rods - our 26 T coupe and our 37 Nash sedan, and get my bucket up and running again. So I wont be spending any additional money on the A40 for a while yet.

The long term plan is to get the bucket back to being a purely street driven hot rod - with an abundance of power. It would suit big block chev engine with a stack injection converted to EFI :wall:

I pt up a pikky of the truck. Its from the auction site, and I havent seen the truck yet. Will go and get it at the weekend as its only 15 or so miles away from here. I will update the pikkys as progress goes on with the build up.

I also put up a pikky of my 26 T coupe that I brought home at Easter. Its fibreglass (so stone me till Im dead:razz:) but I really dont care what its made of. I coulnt find a steel one in this part of the world anyway.

Biggest hassle so far is that the law requires me to either run fenderless, or to cover the tyres. I really like the 80s look with the tyres hanging out, but will probably widen the guards 3 inches and find some thinner tyres. Now that sucks! The rake and the exhaust will stay tho.

The car is out at a mates at the moment getting the front end checked and a few upgrades done.

Again, photos will follow.

I did put one up in the gallery area because I wasa struggling to get one onto here.

So you will have to look there till I get it onto here too.

Dude in the racecar shop next door once owned a aa altered & hes way keen to help the project along. :D

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back