Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

New / old fart here

Awesome ride. What year Hemi is that?
It's a 1956 Desoto 330 ci Fireflight.
Bored 30 over, heads milled 10, block decked 5, for 10.2 to 1 cr. Cam regeound by a guy in RI(?) with Racer Brown specs/equipment. Stock intake was opened up for a full plenum. All new valves, springs and seats w/3 angle valve job. All rotating assembly balanced. A Jeep A518/RH46 4 speed OD trans. Ford (cop car) 8.8 rear end w/4.10 gears. Disk brakes on all 4.
My goal is to have it put together/running for the Vintage Air Open house hot rod show May 10-11🤞
TMI or more info needed😁

I'm also thinking of going with a 3 duce set up. Ford/Weber progressive 2bbls on a homemade manifold

Attachments

• P74.jpg
    P74.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 15
  • P75.jpg
    P75.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 9
  • P77.jpg
    P77.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 9
  • P76.jpg
    P76.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 15
I've got a lot of engineering/figuring to do on it yet. The carbs are progressive so I want them to all run their front bbl and then open the same at full throttle.

I've not done the calculations for Dynamic.
Static is 10.2 : 1 with a fairly mild cam, don't have the numbers handy, but the machine shop owners (they've built a couple of Bonneville cars so I trust them) say it as should be good for 93 octane

If you care to check, just post the info shown below or not. If you use 93octane should be about 8.1 or below.
NOTE: You cannot get 93 octane everywhere, so if you are going out of town??? We only have 91 octane in Oklahoma.

Trust, but verify !

Bore:
Stroke:
Combustion Chamber Size:
Deck Height:
Gasket Thickness:
Gasket Diameter:
Dome (-) / Valve Relief (+):
Connecting Rod Length:
Intake Valve Closing Angle: (Can be calculated from Cam Specs)

Welcome from Maryland and not an old fart yet haha. Love your build! I'd love to find a dodge body to use for mine. It's a 23 t fiberglass body with a 1916 Dodge Brothers grill and 225 slant six powering it. I run it at several vintage events on drag strips and dirt tracks.

Attachments

• circle m 2023.jpg
    circle m 2023.jpg
    891.2 KB · Views: 8
Welcome from Maryland and not an old fart yet haha. Love your build! I'd love to find a dodge body to use for mine. It's a 23 t fiberglass body with a 1916 Dodge Brothers grill and 225 slant six powering it. I run it at several vintage events on drag strips and dirt tracks.
Stay alive long enough and you'll make it to old fart status ;>)
That's one cool ride. I love the old slant 6 in it.
Is it a 225? I bought a new Duster in '72 with a 225 and 3spd on the floor.

Bearded one, I scoured the internet looking at Dodge Brothers cars an landed on the open touring. The roadster has a very boxy rear turtle the would (I think) require a lot of sheetmetal work to replace to get the T tub look like you have. I used the back half of the touring body to get the tub and I used the cowl and part of the section between the front and back seat portion to give me more leg room and the back half is wider to make more room for my ample behind.

Bearded one, I scoured the internet looking at Dodge Brothers cars an landed on the open touring. The roadster has a very boxy rear turtle the would (I think) require a lot of sheetmetal work to replace to get the T tub look like you have. I used the back half of the touring body to get the tub and I used the cowl and part of the section between the front and back seat portion to give me more leg room and the back half is wider to make more room for my ample behind.
Yea I agree the dodge roadster was a little funny looking and I would have to move my rear axle farther back if i used any body with a turtle deck.

The engine is the 225 unfortunately for now it's just the automatic 904 transmission. The motor is stock except for a 2 barrel intake added. I need to replace the timing chain as last fall I noticed I could move the crank at least 5 degrees without the distributor rotor moving!

Yep and more😁
I was in college (BS in Industrial Technology-Power Production) '77 to '80. For a auto tech project, I bought a 1965 Dodge pickup 225 engine - thicker cylinder cooling walls and bored it 100 over, used Buick 215 pistons, stock rods, stock forged crank from the truck engine, bigger valves from a Chevy-can't remember what, the Mopar high perfomance cam and lifters, a stock aluminum intake manifold modified to take a 4bbl adapter with a Carter WCFB from a 348 Chevy, and split exhaust. All the rotating assembly was balanced, the machine shop operator was a well known late model racer in the midwest and he commented that it was the strangest combination he'd ever seen. The block was decked and head milled and eyebrows cut into the pistons for an 11 : 1 comp ratio. Back then Sunoco 104-6? gas was readily available but in the end it didn't matter, #6 cylinder split open
We cut it open and found the casting was flawed - too thin in spots. But for the year it lasted it was a beast.

You've probably seen this, but it's still good reading . . .

There is also a great book put out by Doug Dutra that talks about little things to do during a rebuild to help with performance and oiling. It's a fun motor but at this time I don't plan on doing anything to crazy. I do have an extra head that I may take to a shop and have milled slightly. I'm keeping an eye out for another slant six engine so I can build that one up for a little more performance while keeping the car useable. Only problem there is limited garage space.

Nothing worse than a smogged noggin🤣😁
The body is "supposed" to be painted by the end of March 🤞 so the thrash will be on to get it all assembled in time for the Vintage Air Open house May 4th🤞🤞

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back