Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

New Owner in Breaux Bridge, Louisiana

Swampdog

I am a 66 year old helicopter mechanic / inspector. I have always wanted a t bucket sine my uncle built one in 59 or 60 when I was growing up in Waverly, Ohio.
I built 4 Junior dragsters from scratch for my grand kids. I had want to build a T from kits but I came to the realization that you can buy one for half the cost of the parts.
I got this one off of E-Bay. It was 2 hours away in New Orleans. It is well built and trimmed out. I still trying to figure out what I got.
The Engine is C/N 3970010 and the Heads are 333882 . Are these the Famous smog Motor Heads?
I'm sure I will be asking for advice as time go by.

D L Ellyson.RH View.jpg

That is a nice looking car you bought. It's funny that you are from Ohio because I work in Ohio and live in Lafayette. o_O

Welcome. Looks like a cool car. I'm in Vidalia. All of these La based buckets are going to have to get together one of these days!

The 010 block says its a 350 and the 882 heads are the smog heads. Could be a 383 stroker motor.

It looks like the chassis has 4 bars on the front and rear.

Mike

Welcome to the forum! Looks good! Yes you have a 350 with smog heads but keep in mind that your bucket probably weighs half of whatever that motor came out of so it should feel like a rocket even with a smog motor.

I am a 66 year old helicopter mechanic / inspector. I have always wanted a t bucket sine my uncle built one in 59 or 60 when I was growing up in Waverly, Ohio.
I built 4 Junior dragsters from scratch for my grand kids. I had want to build a T from kits but I came to the realization that you can buy one for half the cost of the parts.
I got this one off of E-Bay. It was 2 hours away in New Orleans. It is well built and trimmed out. I still trying to figure out what I got.
The Engine is C/N 3970010 and the Heads are 333882 . Are these the Famous smog Motor Heads?
I'm sure I will be asking for advice as time go by.

D L Ellyson.View attachment 9561

D L,

Since you're 66 I have ask, did you ever fly the Friendly Skies of Vietnam?

George

D L,

Since you're 66 I have ask, did you ever fly the Friendly Skies of Vietnam?

George
Yes, but at that time, '68 I was a Fixed Wing Mechanic/Crew Chief. C117 and C-54's. When I came back I was put in Helicopters. I have worked for Petroleum Helicopters (PHI) for 37 years.

Yes, but at that time, '68 I was a Fixed Wing Mechanic/Crew Chief. C117 and C-54's. When I came back I was put in Helicopters. I have worked for Petroleum Helicopters (PHI) for 37 years.

Well maybe I saw you in passing. Since the Army had no transport fixed wings I have to assume you were Air Force. Where did you fly out of? I did 2 1/2 years as a dor gunner on B/C model Huey's flying out of Cu Chi. Only caught a hop on one transporter. Got a lift on a C-123 going to Saigon. About as noisy as a CH-47 but probably a lot safer. Had a lot of friends go to HPI after the war. Lost one just a while back when they flew a big Sikorsky into the ground at Lake Charles. I think most of the rest of them have retired from flying. Glad you made it home in good shape. Take care.

George

No I was in the Marines. I flew in and out of DaNang. I don't know if I can spell it right now. I was a crew chief on Marine C-47,s also.

No I was in the Marines. I flew in and out of DaNang. I don't know if I can spell it right now. I was a crew chief on Marine C-47,s also.

I apologize for calling you an Air Force type. I didn't realize the Marines had C117s. I also didn't realize they had CH-47s. I have never seen anything but the CH-46 Sea knights. I learn something everyday. I just never like the twin rotor concept of the heavy lifters. They both have to be intact and turning to get to the ground in any reasonable manner. A Huey can lose the tail rotor and have a pretty decent chance of getting to the ground safely. Our company moved to Chu Lai in mid 1970 and ended up taking part in Lamson 719. I did not regret missing mountain terrain. Glad you're on here as it's a pretty neat place to hang out. Take care.

George

I'm with bobs66440....Thank you both for your service!

DLE, Welcome from New Hampshire. I came to the same realization when I decided I wanted a T-bucket. I could buy one for less money than building one.

I'm with bobs66440....Thank you both for your service!

DLE, Welcome from New Hampshire. I came to the same realization when I decided I wanted a T-bucket. I could buy one for less money than building one.

Much appreciated Bennett!.

You are right. We never had CH-47, but the C-47 is a DC-3 type fixed wing. aka the Gooney bird.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back