Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

New Project Maybe!

RBeck

Hi Guys and Gals! I just signed up to this site a day or so ago. I've been thinking about building a 23 T Bucket for several years. Just as I was starting to get serious about it, I read on another Forum negative comments regarding building a 23 T Bucket. A few people suggested to another prospective builder he should re-think building and just buy one already done. I thought that was pretty rude! I thought the whole idea behind Hot Rods was building and putting your individual spin on the builds. I would still like to put one together myself. Just trying to figure out where to start! Any thoughts or suggestions.

Some enjoy the build process, some just want to have one. Either way is OK. Just keep in mind that it will probably cost a bit more to build one than to buy one. Not always that way but it often is. When you build you make it 100% what you want and what you can afford. When you buy it will be what the builder wanted; stuff you don't care about and maybe some items missing that you would like to have.

So start by giving what I've written careful consideration. Read many of the posts on this site. Visit the sponsor sites above and study their offerings. If you can pop for it all at once, consider a kit. If you want something different than the kits, they will all work with you toward some level of customization. I have personally dealt with RPM and Spirit and can vouch for their honesty and outstanding customer service. If you want more cockpit room consider a stretched 23T or a 27T.

Don't be in a hurry...these things always take longer than we expected or had planned. Good luck. Welcome to the fold. Keep coming back, search the forum and ask questions. I learned about all I needed for my build here and you can see the results.

What Bill said. Also, if you are very tall, you may want to look at RPM's 10" stretch body. I have one and a few folks, after they see mine, want one.

Thanks Bill. I completely understand what you are saying. Myself, I love the challenge of putting something together from start to finish even if there is some fabricating involved. And I do understand the costs involved. Some people just consider it a labor of love, myself included. I would be building over a period of time with my 15 year old Grandson, passing on what I have learned over the years.

Rick

Rick,

All good advice so far......consider the added room of the stretch bodies the current makers offer. I switched to a Spirit 23T XL this year and love it....much more comfortable than the standard size body I replaced.

I certainly see the attraction to building a car with your Grandson. There are so many things that can be learned/taught while building a car together, not to mention the quality time spent together.

There are some real craftsmen on the forum.....I've learned a lot.

Keep us up to date on your build

Rick
welcome aboard I'm sure your grandson and you will enjoy working together on a project.
The picture I have up is my 1923 T bucket that I built with my father and I will never sell it.
I'm sure your grandson would be very attached to the one you built with him .
injoy your project and make it your own .

bob

Everything I've learned about these cars I have learned here as well. I have been through probably every thread on this site to read the things others have done, and it's fun just seeing the build threads from start to finish. I spent several years before I started my build looking at picture and going to car shows, just figuring out what I wanted in the finished car. I decided on a pretty custom build to get what I want and sometimes feel I've bit off more than I can chew, so I do see the advantage of buying a kit To make things much more simple. I'm using the stretch body from RPM as well, and it does have a LOT of room. Research research research, and then have fun fun fun!!!

My wife Rene and i are starting the adventure with a car from Spirit cars. We ordered the 23 T stage 3 kit. While on vacation, we stopped by the shop in Flippin AR. We spoke with Cory and got a look around. There are some very nice and helpful people there ie FAST EDDY who does the upholstery. We will be posting the progress as we go. We will be coming here for help as we go. This is a great site.

Good for you both. Good products, and great folks there at Spirit. I bought my Delivery body and many parts from Spirit, and am completely happy with the product and the help they have given when I called for advise.
Lee

Yep , there's plenty of good info here. Just workout what style of car you want, eg : 50's nostalgia, 70's traditional or late model, (big wheels ) and stick to it. A nostalgic car, with a billet steering wheel just looks wrong! And realise it will take longer, and cost more than you originally think. It's the small things hose clips , electrical parts, brake hoses etc that add up quick, and take the longest time to do. you will have it up on wheels and looking good in no time. It's all the small stuff that takes another 90% of the time. congrats on you starting the project and doing something else on your "bucket list"

And realise it will take longer, and cost more than you originally think. It's the small things hose clips , electrical parts, brake hoses etc that add up quick, and take the longest time to do. you will have it up on wheels and looking good in no time. It's all the small stuff that takes another 90% of the time. congrats on you starting the project and doing something else on your "bucket list"
Agree 100%. I am there now. Double your time and cost estimate and you will be close. All those trips to town for bolts, clips, geegaws and doodads are $30-$100 a pop. No matter how much stuff you buy, there's always one more piece you forgot, lol.

Yep, doesn't take too long to get the major parts together and up on wheels so it looks like a car. But as Golly said above, it's all the small stuff that really takes the time because you have to figure it out and do it. Brake lines, electric system, hole layout, drilling, tapping, paint prep...all takes longer than the initial bolt up. If you are rebuilding an engine and tranny then add a few more months. Throw in weather ..too hot, too cold ...then the two year project becomes five. But, it's worth every minute of it when you take that first drive; when someone asks if you built it and you can answer.....YES!

lol. boy do i understand all that. i have raced stock cars, dirt modifies and legend cars for a long time. we are in no big hurry to get this done, just to get it done. the only good thing is that i have a shop full of the odds and ends. yea, we do have a plan on how we want to go with the car. we are going with the big tires and wheels and all the chrome. i will be coming here for help with wiring and the things that i am not sure of. we are planning on running a small block ford with a c-4 trans. i do enjoy talking with every one here and look forward to getting advise form you.
have a good weekend and holiday.

Another option is to buy someone's project car...that's what I did. Of course, you have to find the right car at the right price, and that can take time. Like everyone else here has said, building the car is quite a bit of the fun, especially if you get to do that with a son or grandson. Those are memories that will last a lifetime!

I started my build and then had surgery which set me back a few months. Finally got back to the build. Purchased a frame kit from RPM, body from CCR, stainless steel four bar front axle, Curie 9 inch rear, Triangular four bar rear suspension. I'll post pictures just as soon as I figure out how!

Looks like you are going to have a VERY nice setup when you get done!!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back