Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

New T bucket to me

Hello fellow bucketeers. I just purchased an already built bucket and was wondering what you guys do when you get the bucket home. I want to check everything out before i start driving it on a regular basis. My question is what are you looking for and how do you go about looking over your new toy. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

ORF says it well. I would just add to keep driving it modestly and learn its characteristics before doing silly stuff. The more seat time you have in it, the more confidently you can drive it.
Thank you Spanky...great advice. I will definitely baby it until it gets to know me...LOL

I might add, if you do find a problem fix it RIGHT don't take a shortcut and say I'll do a better job later, for some reason later never comes. Take short trips, go home check it over, fix anything that needs fixed, then do it over and over again until your sure all is OK. Then for kicks have a buddy or another Bucketeer look it over, then drive the h--- out of it and enjoy..

I might add, if you do find a problem fix it RIGHT don't take a shortcut and say I'll do a better job later, for some reason later never comes. Take short trips, go home check it over, fix anything that needs fixed, then do it over and over again until your sure all is OK. Then for kicks have a buddy or another Bucketeer look it over, then drive the h--- out of it and enjoy..
I like the last part!!..Thank you for the great ideas and advice.

I'd check the timing. Many cars are running without enough advance. A mild SBC should have at least 10° initial, 10° vacuum and 10° mechanical. Mine runs 20 initial, 15 vacuum and 15 mechanical and purrs like wifey after a box of wine. And your distributor should have vacuum advance and it should be connected to full manifold vacuum, not ported. See Timing for Dummies, which some brainiac wrote.
And check the plugs for condition and gap. Plugs are cheap, so if any doubt start with a fresh set and check them once in a while. And check the points, also a cheap fix. Ignition problems can drive you mad; I visit some bucketeers in the Oklahoma asylum.

Last edited:

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back