Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Newbie Needs Some Help

mahrbeezer

Hi everyone, Im looking for some help. Well, maybe alot of help. I always had a strong interest in T buckets but never found the time to get into one. Im getting the bug and Im starting to search. I dont know much about them, actually I know pretty much nothing about them. As far as looks, I do know what I like and what I dont like. I would like some help with the do's and dont's. What should the steps be for purchasing my first bucket. I have turned some wrenches and rebuilt a few motors in the past so I do have a little mechanical background but no pro by any means.
Where is a good place to look for T buckets? I have a budget of about 16-17k.
Thanks for the help guys!!

Jason

Do you want to build one or buy one in running order. You can buy a good runner for half of what you are willing to put out. From time to time a project shows up on Ebay for way less than that. You can spend just about as little and easily as much as you want. I built my old one from a kit I bought at Speedway. I ended up going too shiny and had about 17.5k into it when it was finished. They make good products. Total Performance is a good source and so is Spirit. There are other good suppliers out there too. These are the most common ones that the members deal with here. Start reading some of the posts here from the vendors and read the project build postings. This board didn't exist when I built mine but if it had my build would have gone a lot easier. There is tons of information here and everyone of the members will give you any help you need. Just ask. And post pictures when you get started. Some of don't read too well sometimes to pics help us get an idea of what you've got going on........Steve

Welcome to the site! I would go to car shows and decide what you like and don't like. Most bucketheads love to talk about their cars, as well as bring new blood into the fold. Now is a good time to buy as the winter coming on depress the prices a little. Where are you located? Look for bucket clubs in your area forextra help. Hope this helps.

Im not looking to build one, I dont have the time. This site is full of information and Im sure I will spend some hours here. Is there a good website that has alot of Buckets for sale? I plan on going to a few car shows. I have seen a few that put a twinkle in my eye but they were either sold or out of my budget. Mainly out of my budget. Im looking for reliability, so a high horsepower engine is not really a plus for me, although it would be fun.

I would start by looking on Ebay There are usually a few in just about any price range there. If you find one tell us about it and see if any of our members are near where the car is. You might find someone who would be wiling to go take a look at it for you.

Auto Trader and Deals on Wheels magazines are found at most convenience stores. You can usually find something in one of those. The guy who bought mine sold it in Deals on Wheels. He was asking 14.5 for a 9k car. (I know what it was worth because I built it). I don't know how much he finally got for it but when i asked him he hung his head and said he didn't get his price.

Where are you located?

Steve

der Spieler said:
I would start by looking on Ebay There are usually a few in just about any price range there. If you find one tell us about it and see if any of our members are near where the car is. You might find someone who would be wiling to go take a look at it for you.

Auto Trader and Deals on Wheels magazines are found at most convenience stores. You can usually find something in one of those. The guy who bought mine sold it in Deals on Wheels. He was asking 14.5 for a 9k car. (I know what it was worth because I built it). I don't know how much he finally got for it but when i asked him he hung his head and said he didn't get his price.

Where are you located?

Steve

First try looking on Ebay. Be sure to not only search for "T-bucket" but also do a search for "1923 Ford" up thru 1927. Sometime the sellers don't use T-bucket in the description.

Also look at AutoTrader Classics - Search for a Classic Car, Antique Car, Muscle Car, Collector Car and use the years 1923 thru 1927.

One thing to ask someone over the phone is how tall they are and where are the knees in relation to the steering wheel when driving are they one on each side next to column or next to wheel? This usually tells if the seating position on this bucket is comfy.
Also look at the rear suspension coilovers is the suspension of choice.

mahrbeezer said:
Hi everyone, Im looking for some help. Well, maybe alot of help. I always had a strong interest in T buckets but never found the time to get into one. Im getting the bug and Im starting to search. I dont know much about them, actually I know pretty much nothing about them. As far as looks, I do know what I like and what I dont like. I would like some help with the do's and dont's. What should the steps be for purchasing my first bucket. I have turned some wrenches and rebuilt a few motors in the past so I do have a little mechanical background but no pro by any means.
Where is a good place to look for T buckets? I have a budget of about 16-17k.
Thanks for the help guys!!

Jason

One other thing to ask about, when your looking for a T. Ask if it is titled as a Model T roadster or an assembled vehicle or a current year vehicle. Depending on how it's titled will determine how much trouble you will have the your state to get it re-titled and registered andor inspected.

Mine is titled and registered as a 1923 Ford Model T roadster pickup, and in Texas I don't have to have it inspected and I can run Antique Vehicle Plates.

Welcome to the site. you've already taken the best first step by coming here. By all means check e-bay. Look for local clubs and associations. That's where you'll find your best deals. Don't buy from a handful of pictures. if at all possible go see the car first. Take someone with you that has some knowledge with rods. I would strongly suggest buying a running car to rebuild if you are not familar with T's. That way you get all the parts at once and hopefully a good title. Stay in touch with this site. There is enough knowledge to walk you through any issues you come up against.

Ron

Well I took the plunge, I bought myself a T Bucket. I did some research for a few weeks so I kind of had an idea what I was looking for. The car is in florida and Im in NJ so Im trying to work out a plan to get this thing up here. Anyway I cant stop looking at the pictures of it and I have a ton of questions that I want to ask but I will wait till I get it so I know what Im dealing with. The car is about 75% complete and needs some odds and ends but Im already looking to modify some things. After I figure how to post some pictures I will put them up. One strange thing is I find myself daydreaming about this car from the time my eyes open until they close. Ive already taken this thing for a ride in my dreams!!!! I will be asking alot of dumb questions so go easy on me.

more pictures!! First, the person i bought it from got it from another person and did nothing to it. He didnt know much about the bucket and I picked his brain as much as possible. Does anyone know what make the body is or how I can find out. I have alot more questions but this is the first of many for right now. I want to get an interior kit but need to find out which one.

Welcome to the site. Looks like a great start. Unless you are real short that seat may need to be replaced. It is very thick in the backrest area. A lot of the guys make a base out of plywood and cover it with foam then have an interior man do his thing!

Yea I agree, that seat is going in the garbage. When you order the interior kits, do they come with a seat or do you have to make your own? Does anyone make a production seat for a bucket? This is all a learning adventure for me. Thanks for the help!!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back