Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

North Carolina - Pro-Hobbyist Street Rod Bill Introduced

HAceT

This was posted on the NTBA site by Craig Meads.... I urge all NC residents to make contact with the Senate for their support. I did.

SEMA model legislation (S.B. 476) that would create a vehicle registration classification for street rods, replicas and modified vehicles will be considered by the North Carolina Senate Commerce Committee. Introduced by Senator Don East (Don.East@ncleg.net), S.B. 476 defines a street rod as an altered vehicle manufactured before 1949, a modified vehicle as an altered vehicle manufactured after 1949, and a replica vehicle as a vehicle originally sold unassembled and manufactured from a kit. The bill allows replica vehicles to be assigned a certificate of title bearing the same model year designation as the vehicle intended to be replicated.

We Urge You to Contact All Members of the North Carolina Senate Commerce Committee (Contact Information Below) Immediately to Request Their Support
for S.B. 476

S.B. 476 provides specific registration and titling classes for street rods, modifieds and replicas. Street rods are of a pre-1949 vintage; modifieds are of the post-1949 era.

S.B. 476 requires that the title of a replica vehicle must clearly indicate that the vehicle is a replica and not an original.

S.B. 476 allows for the use of non-original materials and creates a titling and registration criterion that assigns these vehicles the same model year designation as the production vehicle intended to be replicated.

S.B. 476 provides an avenue by which the state can accurately and fairly title and register these specialty vehicles.

S.B. 476 remedies previous inconsistencies in state titling and registration policy for replicas.

S.B. 476 provides a method by which inoperable vehicles, such as restoration projects, may be titled.

S.B. 476 recognizes the immeasurable amount of time, money and attention automotive enthusiasts invest in their hobby cars. Street rods, modifieds and replicas are the same crowd pleasers that participate in exhibitions and as parade vehicles, and whose owners regularly contribute to charities and civic events. This legislation represents an opportunity to acknowledge this family hobby and to protect it for future generations.

DONT DELAY! Please contact members of the Senate Commerce Committee immediately to urge support for S.B. 476

North Carolina Senate Commerce Committee

Senator R.C. Soles Chair
Phone: 919/733-5963
Email: RC.Soles@ncleg.net

Senator David Hoyle
Phone: 919/733-5734
Email: David.Hoyle@ncleg.net

Senator Floyd McKissick
Phone: 919/733-4599
Email: Floyd.McKissick@ncleg.net

Senator Tony Rand
Phone: 919/733-9892
Email: Tony.Rand@ncleg.net

Senator Tom Apodaca
Phone: 919/733-5745
Email: Tom.Apodaca@ncleg.net

Senator Phil Berger
Phone: 919/733-5708
Email: Phil.Berger@ncleg.net

Senator Doug Berger
Phone: 919/715-8363
Email: Doug.Berger@ncleg.net

Senator Harris Blake
Phone: 919/733-4809
Email: Harris.Blake@ncleg.net

Senator Julia Boseman
Phone: 919/715-2525
Email: Julia.Boseman@ncleg.net

Senator Peter Brunstetter
Phone: 919/733-7850
Email: Peter.Brunstetter@ncleg.net

Senator Debbie Clary
Phone: 919/715-3038
Email: Debbie.Clary@ncleg.net

Senator Katie Dorsett
Phone: 919/715-3042
Email: Katie.Dorsett@ncleg.net

Senator Tony Foriest
Phone: 919/301-1446
Email: Tony.Foriest@ncleg.net

Senator James Forrester
Phone: 919/715-3050
Email: James.Forrester@ncleg.net

Senator Linda Garrou
Phone: 919/733-5620
Email: Linda.Garrou@ncleg.net

Senator W. Edward Goodall
Phone: 919/733-7659
Email: Eddie.Goodall@ncleg.net

Senator Steve Goss
Phone: 919/733-5742
Email: Steve.Goss@ncleg.net

Senator Malcolm Graham
Phone: 919/733-5650
Email: Malcolm.Graham@ncleg.net

Senator Neal Hunt
Phone: 919/733-5850
Email: Neal.Hunt@ncleg.net

Senator Jim Jacumin
Phone: 919/715-7823
Email: Jim.Jacumin@ncleg.net

Senator Clark Jenkins
Phone: 919/715-3040
Email: Clark.Jenkins@ncleg.net

Senator Vernon Malone
Phone: 919/733-5880
Email: Vernon.Malone@ncleg.net

Senator Martin Nesbitt
Phone: 919/715-3001
Email: Martin.Nesbitt@ncleg.net

Senator William Purcell
Phone: 919/733-5953
Email: William.Purcell@ncleg.net

Senator Bob Rucho
Phone: 919/733-5655
Email: Bob.Rucho@ncleg.net

Senator Larry Shaw
Phone: 919/733-9349
Email: Larry.Shaw@ncleg.net

Senator Josh Stein
Phone: 919/715-6400
Email: Josh.Stein@ncleg.net

Senator Richard Stevens
Phone: 919/733-5653
Email: Richard.Stevens@ncleg.net

Senator Don Vaughan
Phone: 919/733-5856
Email: Don.Vaughan@ncleg.net

i would strongly urge those of you from NC to get behind this legislation. your voices can make the difference. tell you brothers and sisters, in-laws, outlaws, everyone you know to contact there rep about this bill.you will be able to help them do it 'cause you already have, right!!!!

Ron

keep pushing wayne ... this will also help protect your right to drive your car.

i would also urge everyone to check with their state to see if there is legislation for titling and plates. we need to be heard before they will help us.

Ron

I have to disagree with the legislation if NC is going to copy the SEMA model. It will become law in Iowa July 1 and from what I see the trade off for letting me register my car as a 1023 Model T is to make it so that I can't drive the car when I want to.

From the SEMA model:

(d) (1) In applying for registration of a street rod under this section, the
owner of the street rod shall submit with the application a
certification that the vehicle for which the application is made:
(I) Will be maintained for occasional transportation,
exhibitions, club activities, parades, tours, and similar uses;
and;
(II) Will not be used for general daily transportation.

I build my cars to drive, not to look at. In my opinion, in an attempt to help us SEMA sold us out and the sheep at the NTBA bought into it. Another reason I don't belong to clubs.

I build my cars to drive, not to look at. In my opinion, in an attempt to help us SEMA sold us out and the sheep at the NTBA bought into it. Another reason I don't belong to clubs.
.......................................................................................................

i agree with you on this point steve. the point is it dose make it easier to get your car titled and licensed in some states. it's a simple matter to switch to daily usage plate if you want more flexiblity in your driving. i know of several cars with mn street rod plates that are used for grocery getters with no hassels for john law.

Ron

Iowa won't issue a daily use plate. The plate with "streetrod" painted all over it will be the only plate we have. Nothing like advertising. If I only wanted to go to shows I would build a trailer queen. The whole deal makes me want to say the hell with it and do something else with my money.

here all you have to do is go back with the street rod plates, file out a form, pay your money and walk out with your daily plates.

ron

I'm going to check into it here to see if I will have the option of registering it the other way. I live in the "Peoples Republic of Iowa" so it's doubtful. You've heard all of the Norwegian jokes that are told in this part of the country. Here we change them to Iowa legislator jokes.

der Spieler said:
I'm going to check into it here to see if I will have the option of registering it the other way. I live in the "Peoples Republic of Iowa" so it's doubtful. You've heard all of the Norwegian jokes that are told in this part of the country. Here we change them to Iowa legislator jokes.
I just got off the phone with the Suckretary of State here in Michigan and the lady said i can title my car as a 1923 ford if i have a certificate from the manufacturer stating that it is a replica of a 1923 for like what Spirit does.

can you imagine what a mess this would all be if the feds got into it??

Ron

I did a little more checking into the Iowa interpretation. The car will be allowed to carry a tag designating it as a 1923 but the regular tag and registration must be carried in the vehicle. I don't know if I will have the option of not doing the street rod registraton and registering it as the current year and not have to follow the 'rules' outlined in the SEMA model. How, when and where I drive my car should be between me and my insurance company. Not mandated by SEMA, the arrogant asses at the ISRA who pushed this legislation and the state.

I don't know where you read that you can't drive them when you want here in NC but the guys at DMV told me that as long as you keep your current Reg. and Plate in the car you can have classic plates on it and run them. Now as far as driving there doesn't seem to be any limit and trust me KNOWN of our cars are going to trailered. They will be driven ALOT.

I didn't say you couldn't drive them in NC. I haven't a clue what the NC law does or is going to say. What I was referring to was the SEMA model that was presented to the states. If the state adopted the model as written then there are driving restrictions and that's what pisses me off. If I can't drive it like I want I might as well not play. Here's the paragraph again from the SEMA model:

(d) (1) In applying for registration of a street rod under this section, the owner of the street rod shall submit with the application a certification that the vehicle for which the application is made:

(I) Will be maintained for occasional transportation, exhibitions, club activities, parades, tours, and similar uses; and;

(II) Will not be used for general daily transportation

That to me is a restriction of my driving.

Ok...well I read what they are trying to pass and it doesn't say anything about that, so I hope they don't change it at the last minute but I really don't believe they will.:neutral:

Good luck. Our law takes effect 1 July and it reads just like the model.

Does any one actually think the local cop knows the law well enough to inforce a law that is uninforceable. Everyone gets hung up on the finer points that are uninforceable. If i got pulled over does the local cop have a list of all the local activities in the area that you might be involved in with your car. BS the things that get posted on message boards are almost always propaganda. The post is almost always copied and pasted from another site. most people that post this stuff cherry picks what they want to post to press their agenda. DONT SUPPORT ANYTHING IF YOU HAVENT GONE TO THE .GOV SITE AND READ ALL THE BILL. Any bill that is posted for support that is a .com or .org is hearsay. Having said that it is important to support local legislation that impacts our lives and hobbies.

Well I did go to the NCGA website and pulled the Bill up so it is real and it is not BS. I just thought that some people on this site are from NC and should know about it since everyone else talks about their area's.

Wayne you took my post as an attack on you and your view of this Bill. That is NOT the reason for my post . The original post starts with(This was posted on the NTBA site by Craig Meads....) and ends with (DON’T DELAY! Please contact members of the Senate Commerce Committee immediately to urge support for S.B. 476) My point is to ALLWAYS go to the .GOV site before passing on or gathering support for Bills that are hearsay. And arguing about details in a bill that are uninforceable and that was my observation of steves post. I respect others and their opinions. If u read my post the BS is for the police taking time to pull a guy over to check to see if he is going to a parade in his car.

Well I didn't feel like retyping all of it so copy and paste was the easier way. And I don't like copying anything that someone else wrote with out saying who did it.

And hey no harm no foul.;)

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back