Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Not a T progress

Todd

Before I can plan my track T, my 31 Hudson coupe needs to get done. Here are some updates since I have joined the board.

Interesting project Todd. Is that a Chevy I6? What's the trans gonna be?

Ron

Yes, its a 230 from a 64 elcamino. I took the 3 speed out last night and put the T5 in for mock up.

Good looking project, Todd. I'm putting a 250 six in my T. How much longer is the T5 if at all? i'm wondering about crossmember placement. I have a 3 speed now but I would like the 5 speed. Did the bellhousing need any modification for the T5?

der Spieler said:
Good looking project, Todd. I'm putting a 250 six in my T. How much longer is the T5 if at all? i'm wondering about crossmember placement. I have a 3 speed now but I would like the 5 speed. Did the bellhousing need any modification for the T5?

The trans mount is like 3-4 inches to the rear. So, I couldn't put the crossmember in with the 3 speed on it.
I'll try to get the measurements tomorrow.
3-speed 21 1/2" Trans mount from bell housing 14"
T-5 24 1/2" Trans mount from bell housing 16"

all-world1 said:
Nice project. Hey, I love those front fenders...are they homemade?

Kinda, I bought them from a friend. They are from a spare tire wrap. I need to figure out the mounts.

Todd said:
Kinda, I bought them from a friend. They are from a spare tire wrap. I need to figure out the mounts.
When you figure it out, appreciate it if you can pass on the info. Thanks

I helped a buddy with a 31 hudson softtop what we did was found a top from a ford van and welded it in the open area and it looked awesome with the ribs but this was a four door. On your fenders I saw a car a couple of weeks ago that had the fenders mounted on the inside and a strap mounted to the spindle nut on the outside looked really different.

putz said:
I helped a buddy with a 31 hudson softtop what we did was found a top from a ford van and welded it in the open area and it looked awesome with the ribs but this was a four door. On your fenders I saw a car a couple of weeks ago that had the fenders mounted on the inside and a strap mounted to the spindle nut on the outside looked really different.

I was thinking of a California top (I think that is what it is called). I've seen them on Beetles. On this car, it had a roll down rear window, I want to try and update that.
I'd be afraid of that. Just don't like to pack bearings enough to leave the dust covers off.

As much as I like fenderless cars, I have to admit that motorcycle type fenders like yours look very cool. As for the mounts, that has been an age old problem, the vibrations crack the brackets off sometimes.

One solution is to build two mounts per side, and have each one sort of a rounded Y shape at the top. It somehow dampens out vibrations and makes it stronger. The second way, that I saw on a friends '32, is to build a full metal backplate that essentially covers the whole inside of the fender and bolts to the backing plate. The backing plate is more sturdy than simple brackets and looks clean back there.

Don

I have been trying to get the F-1 steering mounted. The original mounting flange needed to be cut off for a new one, to get the column coming into the car in the right spot. I am using Vern Tardels Ford Steering book. Inside it mentions using a finishing plate on the outside of the frame, for added support.
Hudson004.jpg

Once I got the gear in the frame with Tardel's new bracket it was time to design my finishing bracket. Doing a variation of the one in the first picture a came up with this.

Hudson006.jpg

The triangle shape you see is the new mounting flange for the steering box.
Next came the 1/4" plate and about 5 hours of work with drill press, horizontal band saw, sander, files and a hack saw.

Hudson001.jpg

I was hoping to capture a little of the art deco look in this piece. I still have about an hour of finishing the edges but I couldn't wait to see it on the car.

too bad your not building a Pontiac. that would be a natural for the logo. nice work.

Ron

Thanks Guys. I was wondering if I should cut all the way through on the wings or just leave it taper cut. Any opinions?

if you cut all the way thu, the frame color will show thu.

Ron

Todd,

I'm doing somethign similar for teh sides of my hood. How did you cut the lines?

Track T-4 said:
Todd,

I'm doing somethign similar for teh sides of my hood. How did you cut the lines?

Just a hacksaw. At the edge they go about half way down and taper in.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back