Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Notching rear crossmember?

Raid, if you can find a piece of 3/16" or 1/4" wall tubing, stitch that to the bottom of your cross member first then cut your relief in the top. I would cut the back as you showed in your sketch and the front all the way ove to the side rails. Box with a piece of 3/16" top and bottom. If you need an inch cut for 1 1/2". A corner gusset would be a good idea too.

Ron

Steve, I hope you don't mind if i say this here and now.. :D

To all the new and old guys that want to build themselves a T Bucket or any Hotrod for that matter...
The most important Tool you can own and use is a good pair of knee pads...
If you do not own a set, get a pair today!!
Now if at all possible, if you can keep your project up at table height, so you do not have to be on your knees, all the better, because I am now suffering from the effects of being on my knees most everyday for years, the biggest mistake I ever made... Well ear plugs/or muffs may be right up there... as the ringing in my ears is plenty hard to live with, but the knees are getting worse everyday now... I will either have to cut the side of my Roadster down, or sell Her :(
I really hate doors in these type cars for myself... bad as Little John...
SO: PLEASE go buy yourself theses two items TODAY, put them on your LIST of presents to yourself... and then USE them anytime you are down working on the ground/or floor, and around noise, like that disk grinder, a custom builders #1 hand tool...!!!
(NOTE) any time you are using a grinder, make sure that all glass is covered and protected, also any painted item that you want to keep nice, otherwise they will become JUNK... GUARANTEED.. BEEN THERE AND DONE THIS. Sorry to say it... Ted Brown

I couldn't agree more with Ted on this. When we're young and indistrutable we don't realize the price we're gonna have to pay somewhere down the road. I can't use kneepads so i have sample carpet squares. Be safe guys and take it for us ole guys use your safety equipment to protect your ears and knees.

Ron

bucketkids said:
And don't forget your safety glasses and the peoples around you.
YES! Safety glass/shields like cutting shields, oh the many times I went to the eye Dr. to get steel out of my eyes, what a wasted pain and time... it only takes a second to get that in your eye... grab that shield before any grinder.. :D

Good post Ted. I have the car on my lift so bending over doesn't happen too much. I have bad knees already no need to make them worse. I also use a full face shield when grinding or cutting. Can never be to safe. I guess that's why I'm overthinking this notch.

If I would look at the right picture it would make a difference, thanks for setting me straight. :D

raidmagic said:
Good post Ted. I have the car on my lift so bending over doesn't happen too much. I have bad knees already no need to make them worse. I also use a full face shield when grinding or cutting. Can never be to safe. I guess that's why I'm overthinking this notch.
Steve, did you run that fuel tank already? or is it something new that you want to run?? Mounting the Watts link on top of the third member is always a bad place, as it gets in the way of everything.. to bad as it is easy there... :D

Ted Brown said:
Steve, did you run that fuel tank already? or is it something new that you want to run?? Mounting the Watts link on top of the third member is always a bad place, as it gets in the way of everything.. to bad as it is easy there... :)

The Watts link isn't an issue the tank sits behind it by a few inches. I'm just trying to get it to sit a little lower so I can put my bed on the body where I want it to site and still build the cover I want to. I really want to run this tank one because it was free:D and two it provides me room to hide my battery back there and even create a space to use as a storage/trunk area.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back