Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

NSRA inspection

fletcherson

I was reading another thread and the NSRA inspection came up. I refrained from engaging in that conversation, but it peaked my interest and I looked it up. One manidtory fail is automatic wipers... I will definitely fail there, I have no auto wipers, and no plans for them. Thoughts???

Here's a link to the inspection requirements NSRA - The National Street Rod Association

My lack of wipers on Brooklands screens would eventually fail mine.

The exhaust past the door would be another nick. To me, this should only be applicable to enclosed passenger compartment cars <shrug>

Also I saw mention of no copper brake lines...I plan on running Nickel Copper lines. I have no idea if those would be nicked...but I figure that if they are good enough for a lot of the high end European cars, they're good enough for my little T.

Otherwise I see no reason for not striving to meet as many of the requirements as possible. Even though my eventual car would not pass, I do feel it worthwhile to go through the process occasionally

I have no issue with trying to be as safe as possible, but honestly, I have been as reckless in high performance vehicles as I think is possible without crashing, and never had a problem. In contrast, I have been in a head on collision that damn near killed me and involved in another severe, life altering accident, neither were related in any way to any safety issues, or negligence or excess on anyone's part, directly. They were due to events that were not foreseeable, or avoidable, without the aid of foresight, so if its your time, guess what. I also have no intent to tempt fate or endanger anyone in or out of my car, but I am not sure how practical some of the regulations are in an open car. Wipers. Really? I know it's a law in many states now, my windshield has a manual single wiper on it, I suppose to satisfy some regulation, but when the windshield top is below the line of sight, what's the point? Are the guys who say their car passes the inspection installing automatic wipers? Or is there a pass for some? I view this car as a sort of street legal go cart, a four wheel motor cycle. It won't be intentionally driven in rain, unless totally impossible to avoid, like getting caught on a bike... And then just long enough to get out of it. I just wonder how many guys have wipers, what they are using, if they actually use them for anything other than passing an inspection for a sanctioned event. Just querious because there are a couple events I am interested in attending, and don't want to waste my time going to be failed over a trivial, in my opinion, issue.

Here is a copy of the NSRA Safety Inspection Rules.

Jim

I see the inspections as still worthwhile even if failure is known going in. Having trained inspectors looking for non-trivial problems for free is a good thing. You never know when they might find a problem that you did not know about.

Here is how I met the wiper requirement.

It simply clamps to the windshield and the power lead goes down under the dash and plugs into a cigarette lighter socket. As soon as I passed the inspection I unplugged the unit and stored it until the next year's inspection. It was actually totally useless because my line of sight is ABOVE the windshield. I've driven in quite a few storms and the only problem is that the rain stings like hell hitting my forehead. LOL

Jim

I agree with Zandoz. Having a second set of eyes on things is always a good thing. When building my airplane I always welcomed someone else wanting to look at it. You never know what might be found.

Thanks for posting the app. It has a little more detail than the web site that I looked at. Most of the rules are pretty strait forward and understandable. I am still scratching my head over the roadster wiper thing... I can see it in a car with a roof and full windshield. Common sense eludes, as expected... So I guess I will have to make a decision as to how much I want to be involved with events that mandate such aproval and if so waste my time and money creating a totally worthless devise to satisfy their ridiculous demand for a totally useless wiper, so my chest can have a clear view of the back of my engine, lol... Was I transparent enough with my feelings on the wiper thing???? Can't we just have wipers on our goggles? At least they might serve a purpose. By the way, I applaud your creativity Jim. I have found that rain x does a pretty good job of shedding water without manual wipers courtesy of an old Volkswagen that I had where the heater boxes created more moisture inside the windshield, than out.....I was very happy to part ways with that heap of German enginuity, lol.

Thanks for posting the app. It has a little more detail than the web site that I looked at. Most of the rules are pretty strait forward and understandable. I am still scratching my head over the roadster wiper thing... I can see it in a car with a roof and full windshield. Common sense eludes, as expected... So I guess I will have to make a decision as to how much I want to be involved with events that mandate such aproval and if so waste my time and money creating a totally worthless devise to satisfy their ridiculous demand for a totally useless wiper, so my chest can have a clear view of the back of my engine, lol... Was I transparent enough with my feelings on the wiper thing???? Can't we just have wipers on our goggles? At least they might serve a purpose. By the way, I applaud your creativity Jim. I have found that rain x does a pretty good job of shedding water without manual wipers courtesy of an old Volkswagen that I had where the heater boxes created more moisture inside the windshield, than out.....I was very happy to part ways with that heap of German enginuity, lol.

I must correct you on one point, the safety checks that I posted are NOT mandatory. They are advisable and suggested though.

Jim

I must correct you on one point, the safety checks that I posted are NOT mandatory. They are advisable and suggested though.
Jim

I was thinking I've seen events that stated "all participating vehicles must pass NSRA safety inspection" ??
Maybe not, maybe I was dreaming??

I too believe that a basic safety check by a trained set of eyes isn't a bad thing.
We all see those "what were they thinking" vehicles, of course this same people that built them probably wouldn't listen if some "inspector" told them it was wrong,
but at least the event promoters would have their CYA paperwork taken care of.
There are those who would welcome an inspection however.

Jim
I meant the events that mandate them, no problem, sorry if I was less than clear in my semi rant.... I don't disagree with any other than the wipers thing. Or are you saying that events don't mandate passing the inspection to be involved? I may have misunderstood. I wasn't making a statement aimed at any particular event, or group, just in general... It's good that it came to light, so us guys who don't frequent such events can be prepared and not get blindsided and ruin an otherwise good weekend. I thought good guys required it based on conversation with a friend who regularly attends, but I don't know for sure.

Ex-Junk,

Can you share greater detail and sources for the clip-on wiper?

Thanks!

I've been attending the NSRA event in Springfield MO with my T for ten years and have never had to have an inspection, which I would fail on several issues!!

I looked on line and didn't see any info that stated one way or the other. I see they have different scheduled activities at the events, maybe they require it to compete in certain events. That makes perfect sense if it's the case. I will ask my friend when I see him. His weekly car show started this past Thursday, I will see him soon. He was the one who first informed me of the new to our area wiper law. Of course they also mandated that the lights must be on if the wipers are required and almost no one seems to do that, I've noticed...

I meant the events that mandate them, no problem, sorry if I was less than clear in my semi rant.... I don't disagree with any other than the wipers thing. Or are you saying that events don't mandate passing the inspection to be involved? I may have misunderstood. I wasn't making a statement aimed at any particular event, or group, just in general... It's good that it came to light, so us guys who don't frequent such events can be prepared and not get blindsided and ruin an otherwise good weekend. I thought good guys required it based on conversation with a friend who regularly attends, but I don't know for sure.
You DO NOT have to pass the NSRA Safety Inspection in order to be involved in their event. I've attended many of their events over the past years and the inspection was not required.

Jim

Ex-Junk,

Can you share greater detail and sources for the clip-on wiper?

Thanks!
It's really quite simple, Mark. I attached a scrap piece of aluminum that I cut to the shape of the wiper motor to one of the mounting holes of the wiper motor leaving enough space for the glass to fit between. By gently tightening the bolt you can "capture" the glass between the aluminum and the motor. As you can see in the photo, one hot wire and a ground wire attach to a cigarette lighter plug which in turn is inserted into the cigarette lighter receptacle that is powered from your distribution panel.

Jim

No wiper needed with a split screen, for the UK road going test. If you can look over the screen (when its folded down) they are not needed.

It's really quite simple, Mark. I attached a scrap piece of aluminum that I cut to the shape of the wiper motor to one of the mounting holes of the wiper motor leaving enough space for the glass to fit between. By gently tightening the bolt you can "capture" the glass between the aluminum and the motor. As you can see in the photo, one hot wire and a ground wire attach to a cigarette lighter plug which in turn is inserted into the cigarette lighter receptacle that is powered from your distribution panel.

Jim

Jim,

Where did you source the wiper motor?

Thanks,

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back