Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Off topic car.

Wow! That's awesome, choppedtop! I'm guessing that with skills like that your workload is pretty heavy - word gets around!

Thanks Spanky. I do a few jobs now and then. Have done a couple of complete interiors, but it more of a hobby. I just started sewing a couple of years ago and don't want to make a job out of it.

I know how much effort goes into sewing all those diamonds. Just 10 more rows, just 8 more rows, and then you have to flip it over and do it all over again in the opposite direction. Very nice job, I admire your patience. I would be asking Santa Claus for a double needle machine.

Thanks Spanky. I do a few jobs now and then. Have done a couple of complete interiors, but it more of a hobby. I just started sewing a couple of years ago and don't want to make a job out of it.
I know a retired couple who started doing upholstery as a hobby... they are so busy that the hired and trained employees. He told me if he knew how much demand there was, he could have stopped working at his job decades sooner.

The door panel took about an hour to lay out and 3.5 hours to sew. I think the back seat took more time. I am almost wishing that I had took up upholstery 50 years ago.
I am starting to know why shops take so long and charge so much. I talked with a man the other day that he was quoted 4k for a caddy bench seat and he supplied the custom material that he waited 2 years to get.

You most certainly have an eye for detail, it looks great !

Wow! That looks incredible. Do you have an idea of how long you have been working on it? My grandson is looking for a side hustle to set himself up to retire early.

Thanks for the complements guys. John, this took maybe six weeks. I only worked on it afternoons and some it the evening. There was no rush, it just has to be done by September 9. Car still has to be painted. Lucky all the body work is done (almost) and it painted with a matte finish. Just scuff it up with 400 grit paper and shoot.
It takes a bit of time to learn how to do all the things that go into upholstery. I am still learning. I can't tell you how much material I have wasted because I wasn't happy with the outcome. A good machine is mandatory. I bought a machine and was kind of intimidated to use it. It sat for a year before I made a stitch with it. I loaned to to a friend. When returned, he brought left over materials and foam. Thats when I got started. Crap, I have rattled on long enough.

Thanks for the complements guys. John, this took maybe six weeks. I only worked on it afternoons and some it the evening. There was no rush, it just has to be done by September 9. Car still has to be painted. Lucky all the body work is done (almost) and it painted with a matte finish. Just scuff it up with 400 grit paper and shoot.
It takes a bit of time to learn how to do all the things that go into upholstery. I am still learning. I can't tell you how much material I have wasted because I wasn't happy with the outcome. A good machine is mandatory. I bought a machine and was kind of intimidated to use it. It sat for a year before I made a stitch with it. I loaned to to a friend. When returned, he brought left over materials and foam. Thats when I got started. Crap, I have rattled on long enough.
Do you work alone or have a cohort? I once had ample energy and drive. Anymore, I just can’t seem to muster any. Even if they aren’t actually helping, having someone else present and somewhat interested seems to help, but that’s not my current reality.

I work alone. Since I enjoy doing it, it is still fun. I really wouldn't want to do this at my age full time. During winter month, seems the folks that I have work for, are not in a rush. Our first big car show is in February. I shoot pool about every morning, then come home to sew.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back