Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

oil catch can

rubicon

Does anyone have experience with using an oil catch can? I do not have a PCV valve on my engine just breathers on both covers. These breathers get saturated with oil after about 100 miles and oil start to hit the firewall. I'm thinking on using an oil catch can but not sure how to hook it up. SBC383 stroker with triple deuce set up.

I have baffles in the valve covers and the caps are also baffled with filter. Oil miss still fills up the caps from the crankcase psi. I'm going to use oil catch tank with breather and run hoses from the breather holes in valve covers to the oil catch tank. There, I will vent the psi. Hopefully the tank will catch the oil and the only thing I vent is gases. I just ordered the parts I needed from Jegs. I will make some fittings to go into the breather holes and screw my AN fitting into them. I'll take pictures when I'm down. Let you guys know how it works.

I bet if you install a PCV, your problems will end.

I have baffles in the valve covers and the caps are also baffled with filter. Oil miss still fills up the caps from the crankcase psi. I'm going to use oil catch tank with breather and run hoses from the breather holes in valve covers to the oil catch tank. There, I will vent the psi. Hopefully the tank will catch the oil and the only thing I vent is gases. I just ordered the parts I needed from Jegs. I will make some fittings to go into the breather holes and screw my AN fitting into them. I'll take pictures when I'm down. Let you guys know how it works.
Guys with small high performance boats (500 - 800 hp) been doing that for years. They often run with throttle wide open. They call their tank for catching oil, a puke tank.

I'm going to use oil catch tank with breather and run hoses from the breather holes in valve covers to the oil catch tank. There, I will vent the psi. Hopefully the tank will catch the oil and the only thing I vent is gases. I just ordered the parts I needed from Jegs. I will make some fittings to go into the breather holes and screw my AN fitting into them. I'll take pictures when I'm down. Let you guys know how it works.

Did you do this yet?

I went with Vibrant Performance # 12695. This model has two IN ports. The fittings were 10AN. I change them to 6AN because I already had 6AN hose and hose fittings. I had to add SS scotch brite pads to the inside because I was getting some mist coming out of the catch can breather. So far seems to be working. Only time will tell.The can is mounted on top of my frame and hangs down almost a far as the oil pan. It has a drain plug in the bottom. I looked at the Mishimoto but did not like the idea of unscrewing the can.

Attachments

• 20170616_105640.jpg
    20170616_105640.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 20170616_105616.jpg
    20170616_105616.jpg
    278.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 20170616_105630.jpg
    20170616_105630.jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 27
Nice. I've been plumbing with their hoses and fittings. They're well made.

I used the same logic, different material in the bottom of my JLT cans. I cut a circle of fuel cell foam about 3/4" thick and put in the bottom of the can. You probably will not have an issue, but Scotchbrite has some very hard abrasives on the fibers. I doubt any will migrate into the engine, but ??? Maybe some stainless steel wool would be safer, if you do not have some cell foam.

SS scrubbing pads. Scotch Brite is the brand name. Sorry if there was any confusion. If I use a PCV I would have to alter my carb intake and all that gunk would be going into the carb to get burned. I want to avoid that if possible.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back