Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Oil type

putz

What weight of oil and brand are we running.How many are running synthetic?

I've been running 20-50 Castrol for years.

There are additives to add to the oil to break it in because the new oils don't have zinc in it.Especially it you are running flat tappet cam.

Valvoline 20 W 50.

Jim

I used straight 30W diesel engine oit for my break-in. Valvoline I believe. Lots of zinc in that oil...not so much in the 10W-30 diesel oil. Also, if you used the moly lube on the cam or anywhere during you assembly, the oil filter will trap it and clog pretty quick. So after the initial break-in run, change the oil filter. I rebuilt an engine for the first time in my life. I read all that I could find; payed attention to fit dimensions and torque settings. Engine started right up and runs like a top. After break-in, I'm going to use Ford synthetic blend. Not much zinc, but the syn part is a very good high pressure lube. Also, if you are using a roller cam, there is no break-in and no special oil needed. Just use whatever you use in your vehicles

As usual, I have to say I'm a year away from the road.

I'll determine the weight of oil after I Plasigage the rods and mains during assembly.

I will probably break the engine in with a carb and manifold and then switch over to the blower set up, since I don't want to scrub the cam while trying to tune the blower..... if I ever get the drive finished.

I use Rotella. Most other diesel truck oil will work. flat tappet camshafts will wear flat in short order without zinc and other additives they took out of passenger oil a few years ago.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back