Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Old age rant

Spanky

Staff member
Okay, maybe this is more of a whine than a rant, but I just can't do stuff like I used to. Changed the oil in the bucket yesterday and it took me about two hours!!! The worst part is getting up and down off the garage floor. The guys who have lifts in their garages are truly blessed, because trying to reach around under the T while it's up on jack stands is the pits. And the stupid magnetic drain plug gave me a fit, trying to install it without cross-threading it using one hand while lying on my back. Gr-r-r-r-r! I'm gettin' old!

Geezer2.jpg

Throw that magnetic drain plug away and get a regular drain plug. Then buy one of these for all your vehicles.

With a pull force of 33 lbs, not much ferrous metal is going to get by this thing. A lot more oil is going to circulate
much closer to this magnet then the drain plug with that itty-bitty magnet.

K&J Magnetics: RX864
$11.88
upload_2023-6-2_16-44-17.png upload_2023-6-2_16-45-48.png

FP09_KJMagnetOnOilFilter_03639.jpg

Your Welcome !

Okay, maybe this is more of a whine than a rant, but I just can't do stuff like I used to. Changed the oil in the bucket yesterday and it took me about two hours!!! The worst part is getting up and down off the garage floor. The guys who have lifts in their garages are truly blessed, because trying to reach around under the T while it's up on jack stands is the pits. And the stupid magnetic drain plug gave me a fit, trying to install it without cross-threading it using one hand while lying on my back. Gr-r-r-r-r! I'm gettin' old!

View attachment 23978
Spanky my friend.. just to let you know that it doesn't get any easier

I feel your pain Spanky, I've done my own servicing since teen years, but these days I let the dealer do it.
I've just finished changing the engine out in my daughter's Holden Astra (FWD) to help her out of a situation. NEVER AGAIN!

Most of us are geezers. Me at 78, half of my High School class is dead now. I can't do what I did 5 years ago. Used to spend all day Sat in the garage. Now it's work a bit, then rest a bit, repeat. But I still do the cruises and shows. Getting harder to enter/exit the T (no door), but I've got it down to a weird dance with minimum pain. Maybe someday I'll add a step. Be glad we have our cars and are still kicking.

OK, Indy. I just ordered 3 of them. One for tranny, one for oil pan, and the one I will invariably lose.

and the one I will invariably lose.
Can't you just stick it on that steel plate in your head, then it will always be where you can find it. Well I guess you still got to remember where you put it, but I know you are always marveling at your good looks in the mirror several time a day, so NO problemO!!! LOL !!!

Last edited:
Ha! I traded my steel plate for carbon fiber so I can get thru the TSA without removing my head. Now pardon me, I see a mirror over there...

Good come back !

I can see it now….right after you brush your teeth you look at your reflection and say “You handsome MF! Don’t you ever ever die!”

View attachment 23978
I know how you feel. Even with a lift I still have to get on my knees to set it up. I don't use the lift for changing oil. I use it to lift my fat ass off the floor when I'm done.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back