Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Old car guy here, but new to "T" Buckets

Diceman

I am looking to build a "T" Bucket shortly and this looks like a good place to do some research. I have an aluminum Buick/Rover V8 engine with a 700R4 transmission that will be the basis of the build. Right now I really like the Speedway Traditional "T" and the Zipper Lakes Modified style cars. If anyone has any experience with these your input would be appreciated.

I have a lot of fabrication experience and actually worked at a race car fabrication shop years ago. In addition I have a well equipped shop and several friends that do too. So, I will probably buy a body and fabricate most of the rest myself unless I find a "fire sale" on an abandoned project that I can modify.

My current rides are a 1950 Merc Custom, a 1950 Ford movie car, and a 1958 Apache pickup with an Indy 500 track service vehicle motif.

I have wanted a "T" Bucket since I was a teenager and since I recently retired I decided that would be my next project. My last gig before retirement was taking care of Jim Hall's Chaparral race cars for the Petroleum Museum.

I am looking forward to reading about your cars and I am sure I will find lots of good ideas and inspiration here.

IMAG0161.jpg cropped.jpg

Welcome from Ocala, Florida. Check out some of the sponcors they have some neet bodies for the T bucket as well,

Welcome from Chalmers Indiana...home of the Indy 500! I am an old sprint car racer and love the open wheel cars. Huge fan of Johnny Rutherford! Welcome, and I hope you find inspiration for your project here!

Hello and welcome! It sounds like you are definitely qualified for this venture, lol. I look forward to seeing the progress :thumbsup:

"The best laid schemes o' mice an' men / Gang aft a-gley.”
Hello again. Since my first post I have been diagnosed with CLL. (Leukemia) Fortunately, due to the grace of God and the help of a very good friend I was treated at MD Anderson, the premier cancer research hospital in the world. My doctor there recommended me for a new drug trial which was very effective and I am happy to report that I am in full remission and ready to get on with my life.

I haven't been completely idle though and have found a 2 deuce manifold for my little Buick/Rover engine. Evidently 3 deuce manifolds were never produced. I am thinking of building a style 3 deuce log style manifold since hood clearance isn't an issue. It would certainly be more impressive than the 2 deuce manifold I have. I have also procured some "Stromberg" style throttle bodies like I used on my 58 Apache for a custom EFI system.

My original plan was to buy a body and fabricate the chassis and suspension, but my recent health issues and the fact that I am now 69 years old have caused me to rethink my priorities. My new plan is to buy a complete body/chassis kit and spend my fabricating time and skill customising and detailing it to suit me. I am very interested in the Speedway Motors Tribute "T". I really like it's lower old school appearance and simplicity. If anyone has any experience with the Buick/Rover engine or the Speedway Tribute "T" I would be interested in your ideas and opinions.

Yes indeed, welcome back, Diceman. I am also a fan of the low look in a T-bucket, and managed to modify my Spirit frame & body (5" channel job) to achieve the look. We have a member from UK that posts here regularly, and I know he has a lot of info on the little aluminum V-8's. That's one cool powerplant for a T. Gerry, are you reading this??? (BTW, nice to see a quote from Bobby Burns!)

F.jpg

Welcome aboard. That is a pretty impressive resume there. Cant wait to see a bucket with the aluminum rover motor.

Diceman, i'm new here as well and although we do not know each other I am glad to hear you're treatment went well. My mother just got through a bout with colon cancer. It is a shitty road to navigate.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back