Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

On a budget and no cutting torch

I got my bluepoint plasma 125 for $150 last year. It didn't have tips or difuser so I bought a box of each for $100...
It took me about 15 minutes to cut the brackets off a 9inch last weekend which I charged a guy $30 to do it.. Where you save the money is in your time spent cutting..

Watch the farm auctions in your area. A friend just bought a Vic journyman set with the tanks and 50' of hose for $95.

Ron

I walked into a local close out store and found they had Sait brand 4 1/2" .045 cut off wheels for .79 cents each. I pay about $2.00 each when I buy them for the company. That check out gril was about ready to kill me when I bought all they had, 6987 of them :lol: Sold a lot to company to get back my money, and I'm still burning the rest of them up.

The cost of acetylene is getting silly, if you you do spend the bucks to get a torch set you may want to look at other fuel gasses such as propylene or propane or even gasoline. Yea, gasoline, the same stuff you put in your car. ( Petrogen | Petrogen Oxy-Gasoline Cutting Systems Home Page ) I would have changed my entire shop over but the cost of replacing all the equipment (19 torch sets) made the owners faint. I did switch the shop over to propylene as a fuel gas and we should save about $7000 to $9000 a year.

But you asked about saws all blades, they are a lot like band saw blades and need to be "broken in" before really start working them. Check out this link for more info band saw blade Break-In Procedure the same thing applies to saws all blades

Like I tell the guys at the shop...
1) Buy "good" blades, avoid the store brand stuff.
2) brake them in before leaning on them
3) Don't lean on them, let the blade do the work.

Or look in the paper lots of people will haul away the body for the scrap value. With the price of scrap right now its easy to spend more for the blades to cut it up, then you would get for the scrap. Let them do the work. Thats what I did cut out the VIN tags and draged it to the curb, next morning it was gone. If I was luck I would have gotten maybe $100 bucks for it. Less blades and my labor.

Find wheels made of carboriduim, they'll last better but like they said don't force them let the wheel do the work. :lol:

speaking of watching the farms... my friends got a full welding kit with torches on a trailer for $600 from this old rancher that bought brand new stuff, ... he wouldnt sell it to me :sad:, thrifty nickel and the green sheet is popular around here for stuff like that too!

jbisme said:
I'm cutting a 1966 truck body into itty bitty pieces.

I'm willing to use the cut off blades for circular saws, but they wear down and become difficult to get into tighter areas. It looks like I'm stuck with how I'm doing it.

This truck is proving to be much more difficult to cut up than a Geo Metro.:cry:

If you are cutting this truck up so you can haul it off, you are probably wasting a lot of time and money. Scrap prices here are about $4.00 per hundred pounds. The time you spend and the money you spend on wheels and blades. You won't come out ahead on this. It will be even worse if you have taken the engine and other stuff off. You would probably be better off to give it to someone who can haul the thing away for you.

We hauled off 2200 lbs of scrap last week it only brought $100

we have to cut cars to scrap if we dont have a title... texas laws are if it sits in a junk yard it has to have a title, if you take to the scrap yard you have to give them the title too. that could be the dilemma

No guys, I need what's left of the body off of the frame for my project. And yes, I know I should just build my own frame if I'm building a T-bucket. What I'm building with this frame isn't exactly a t-bucket, but I know you guys will approve when I reveal what it is.;)

Scrap steel is worthless, I'm spending more in saw blades and gas for my truck to take the scrap away than I'll recover, but that's an expense I'll live with.

Kansas is similar to Texas regarding needing a title. That is why I had to cut up and sell the Geo to the recycle yard in order to get it out of my yard. Cutting through that car was like cutting up a pop can with sissors compared to this old truck body. Unfortunately it is a good workout for my arms. If only it was about 20 degrees cooler outside.

heres an idea... call your local fire department and see if they would like to use the shell of the car for "Jaws Of Life" practice... if they say yes, then you can get it cut up for "Gratis" and you can haul it for junk ;)

I've already ripped the doors and truck bed off; working on the cab and fenders this weekend. The truck bed I did 3 months ago. It's a shame my late Uncle did such a poor job taking care of this truck.

Another couple of weekends, and it won't matter. If only there was a way to get summer to not be so hot.

You said you have an arc welder. Back in the 50's all we had on the ranch was an arc welder... brother-in-law 4 miles away had the torch in his shop. We used to turn up the heat on the arc welder and burn ( melt ) off metal. A lot of kids in high school shop did more burning than welding when they were trying to learn. We built a 36 coupe and 31 chrysler roadster with out a torch. burned off the metal, then trimmed with a grinder. some guys soak their arc rods in water before using them to burn with. get the right angle on the metal so when you over-heat it the hot metal drips off. And you can learn the technique of heating then poking to remove the metal.

Haha, that's about all I get done with that arc welder! Why didn't I think of that?

Getting somewhere on it...

BT0014.jpg

The MAINE way!!!!

4868_98211062516_652887516_2472478_.jpg

RPM said:
You are building one of these?
image_1268.jpg

Does this thing have to have the actually boat and motor title to be on the road or do the rules change when you can actually drive a boat on the street??????????

This was at the Bash last year. the owns a wrecking yard and towing service. The motor on the boat was blown up. The chassis is from a Ford Bornco that had been rolled over. So he just put the 2 together. Pretty cool deal. I think he said he just used the title for the Bronco and switch the vin plates as the engine serial number all matched.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back