Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Pan hard bar with buggy spring?

fletcherson

I wa looking at various suspention options and found a t bucket with traditional rear transvers spring with a pan hard bar. I thought the spring located the axle. Any input on the addition of the pan hard bar?

The bar will keep the frame from shifting side to side from spring shackle sway. I run one on the front end, and it does make a difference in cornering. Of course I have one on the rear also with the coil over suspension.
Lee

The bar will keep the frame from shifting side to side from spring shackle sway. I run one on the front end, and it does make a difference in cornering. Of course I have one on the rear also with the coil over suspension.
Lee
I wondered if it really made a difference. I can visualize movement, but I thought with the spring being preloaded, it would keep it centered, at least in theory. Thanks!

This has been debated a lot, but a chassis builder that's helped me out a lot put it this way. In harder cornering the shackles under preload will keep the rear centered but puts a lot of stress on them. If you run a panhard bar it takes the stress off and let's the spring be a spring, and not have to pull double duty. Many any cars do not have them and work fine, but to me it's one more layer of insurance. I'm running one on the front as well. I swapped from buggy spring to coilovers but intended to run a panhard either way.

If what ever length shackle you use, and it is at a 45* angle loaded, it can move the length/ maybe half, of the shackle when you corner with the car. Test by pushing on the car, frame and body sideways and you will see the effect. IMHO a pan hard bar is a necessity on any hot rod so you don't feel the body/frame shifting sideways when you corner hard.

This has been debated a lot, but a chassis builder that's helped me out a lot put it this way. In harder cornering the shackles under preload will keep the rear centered but puts a lot of stress on them. If you run a panhard bar it takes the stress off and let's the spring be a spring, and not have to pull double duty. Many any cars do not have them and work fine, but to me it's one more layer of insurance. I'm running one on the front as well. I swapped from buggy spring to coilovers but intended to run a panhard either way.

Dale....Your friend gave you very good advise in my opinion. I tend to think the high arched T springs are more likely to need a panard bar then the flat style leaf spring. I think the high arched units would be more likely to deflect or bend at the outboard ends near the eye in a side loading condition. Just my .02 cents worth.

George

Last edited by a moderator:

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back