Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Peel-n-seal under carpet

roadmonster

Dynamat and other expensive stuff is way too much for my little rat rod. I've been getting great results with Peel-n-seal roof repair under my carpet. My floor is old steel and the tunnel is lightweight glass. I laid another layer of glass and covered everything in Peel-n-seal and it went from being somewhat flexy to very stiff and silent. Sound system sounds better too.

I know people have been doing this for a long time and audio purists scoff, but I think it's a great cheap hot rodding trick. You can do your whole car for the price of a few sq ft of Dynamat.

Sounds like a good idea. The bucket I bought appears to be bare wood under the carpet, and I'd like to coat it if for no other reason than to protect the wood. What's the application method for the Peel-n-seal? How thin can you apply the coating?

Jack

It's a 6-inch self adhesive roll, asphalt-based, aluminum-backed, just peel and stick. It's about 1/16 thick, very aggressive adhesive, and aluminum backing lets you mold and burnish it around irregular surfaces. I use aluminum repair tape over the seams (not necessary) and it is a GREAT surface for carpet and vinyl to adhere to. It's like undercoating plus an extra layer of metal inside your car. I suspect it will improve the sound of my megawatt stereo too. If all goes well I will do the turtledeck and gas tank too.

OK, I get it. I was thinking it was an actual coating that would be brushed or rolled on. I probably should coat all this wood with polyurethane before continuing. Don't know what to do about the underside. There's a lot of surface cracking of the plywood. The body really needs to come off to do that right.

Jack

A 48'' x 20' roll is available at Lowe's for under a hundred dollars. I know it sounds like a lot of material , but it's very useful and you can overlay it several times. Love it in my 37 Plymouth

Does it have an asphalt smell? I need something in my OT 46 coupe, but have heard that it can stink up the interior of a closed car. The price sounds good though.

I have read complaints of asphalt smell, but others say not. I haven't noticed any, but it's under carpet anyway. Maybe in a real hot car with the windows up.

BTW, there is a similar material called window flashing which comes in a smaller 4" roll for about $10. It is very flexible and sticky and has a silver Mylar backing. I used it to fill in corners and tight spots before laying the bigger strips of 6" Peel-n-Seal. It's also great for local layering of trouble spots. I then seal seams and edges with aluminum repair tape and roll everything down. It is very effective. I think sealing the seams this way will prevent fumes.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back