Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Pertronix Flame thrower dist

Tjbucket

So, finally fired it up worked on getting timing and carbs dialed in. Several start and shut downs during the timing. Then nothing.....started digging, plugs wet with fuel and no spark. I have power at the distributer, swapped out coils, still nothing. I think the ignitor went bad.....which if that is the case really pis&*# me off because the pertronix distributer is brand new, not even run for an hour. Is there anything that I maybe over looking? I have no ballast, as you are not supposed to use one with it. Simple wiring straight to the coil and leads from the distributer connect to it. Am I missing something? I had spark, it was running then nothing.....

Yeah, I have tried that, not coming up with much that makes sense......but what else could it be if not the ignitor??

I may be over-simplifying but have you checked your ground wires? I understand they can be temperamental on glass cars.

I'm sure you've been here but if not there are things to check: www dot pertronix dot com /support/tips. If you looked already, sorry. I know full voltage (12v) is pretty important. Thats it for me, I am by no means a spark chaser lol. I couldn't type the address correctly, so the dot is a period.

On every electronic ignition I've used including the Petronics point elimination kits, they require ballast resistors and a specific impedance coil. You may have fried the module if you have twelve volts running to it. I think, from memory, they require four to eight.

Have you tried to find out why the plugs are soaked with fuel? That can't be a good thing.

Sure sounds like infant mortality of the distributor. Best pull it and send it to Pertronix for warranty repair. I had a Mallory that did the same thing.

Plugs are wet because it's not firing. And the last Pertronix I installed did not use a ballast. A ballast is just to avoid frying the points and there are no points in the Pertronix.

On every electronic ignition I've used including the Petronics point elimination kits, they require ballast resistors and a specific impedance coil. You may have fried the module if you have twelve volts running to it. I think, from memory, they require four to eight.
I just looked on the Petronics site, and they don't require resistors on the newer units. Not sure exactly which one you have. They have a decent troubleshooting procedure posted on their web site. They do have specifics related to coil resistance, but the units run on twelve volts. A lot of electronic ignitions do still use ballast resistors or resistor loom wire to reduce the voltage to the modules and coils, they are not just for points, so to avoid frying your units, read the instructions to be sure.

Thanks, I am using the flamethrower distributer with the compatible flamethrower II coil. It is direct wired 12v, and the directions state specifically "do not use a ballast". I should have the new ignitor tonight and we will see what happens. Then I will send in the old one for warranty, and have one on the shelf......looks like that may not be a bad idea.

The SEMA types don't burn in any of their stuff, so it's not uncommon for a unit to work for an hour or a day, then go poof. Part of the "fun" of our sport.

Thanks, I am using the flamethrower distributer with the compatible flamethrower II coil. It is direct wired 12v, and the directions state specifically "do not use a ballast". I should have the new ignitor tonight and we will see what happens. Then I will send in the old one for warranty, and have one on the shelf......looks like that may not be a bad idea.
Few things make me angrier than brand new parts failing right off the bat... I have had several similar issues. It seems like I never had those type problems in the past, but the new improved stuff seems to be prone to failure... Makes me wonder how they justify the price.... I recently had a similar issue with a tractor. I bought all new ignition parts, rebuilt the carb etc... It would start and immediately die. I checked everything except the new ignition parts and after wasting a day and many curse words, I checked the coil and had a brand new coil that was bad. I reinstalled the 50 year old coil and wallah! Ran like a top. Good luck!

New ignitor installed and fired right up.......guess we will see for how long! Now, after reading speedway's warranty policy, probably won't get a new ignitor unless I return the whole product......not worth the trouble.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back