Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

popping sound

dustytrails

I have a popping sound on one exhaust pipe,much louder then any others,wasent noticable with mufflers but very noticeable with zoomies,anyone have any ideas,checked exhaust valve adjustment and plug and wire all ok
P1000173.jpg

an exhaust leak, maybe??
just grasping at straws, but I have had the similar problem with my coupe........no zoomies, just regular headers

Vance

I would run a compression check to see what that tells ya. Also see if there is any carbon on the plugs and check plug gap and timing. See if you see anything. There is lots of other things that can cause it, but they are alot more rare and harder to check.

dustytrails said:
I have a popping sound on one exhaust pipe,much louder then any others,wasent noticable with mufflers but very noticeable with zoomies,anyone have any ideas,checked exhaust valve adjustment and plug and wire all ok
P1000173.jpg

I had a pair of those zoomies on my T. They're from Sanderson. They say you don't have to run a gasket, But I couldn't get them to seal up all that well so I used a set of Mr. Gasket ultra seal header gaskets. Also use a torque wrench amd make sure you get all the bolts the same torque.

There's a slight possibility you have a vacuum leak on that side as well.

crawl under it with a flashlight and check the block around the header flanges. you should be able to see a little carbon stuck to the block where the headers leak (if they do).

I ran zoomies on my hemi and if you run your hand in front of each tube you can feel the exhaust heat. If one is colder, then that cylinder isnt firing right. you can then go into ignition or valve adjustments.

first thing i would do is wait till dark, turn out the lights and start the car, bet you have a misfire with those wire seperators.. just a guess though, i never had any luck with looms/seperators like that..

very nice looking T you have there also :D

brucer why would say a misfire with the wire seperators ??
i have those same ones is there something i dont know bout the
seperators ???
this would give me cause for consern
sorry to go off topic
nice ride gt 63 i love the zommies i may go with them also the tunnel ram WAY COOL
myself i like the idea of raising the body i have the same prob with the fire wall couldnt get my tranny dipstick in the small gap ended up making a shorty dipstick and gotta crawl under to check trans fluid

check and see if you don't have a bent or busted pushrod. Had a popping sound out the header and had a broken pushrod. If it is a cheap pushrod like from O'Rielly, they ain't worth crap. Busted a good TRW pushrod, went to O'Rielly and got a replacement pushrod that I used until the new Crane pushrods on order came in. Busted that cheap O'Rielly puhrod just before the good Crane pushrods came in. Ain't had a problem since.

datonamanmike said:
brucer why would say a misfire with the wire seperators ??
i have those same ones is there something i dont know bout the
seperators ???
this would give me cause for consern
sorry to go off topic
nice ride gt 63 i love the zommies i may go with them also the tunnel ram WAY COOL
myself i like the idea of raising the body i have the same prob with the fire wall couldnt get my tranny dipstick in the small gap ended up making a shorty dipstick and gotta crawl under to check trans fluid

i had a set of taylor wires and those looms on a truck i had years ago, i had arcing real bad. so it coulda been wires or the looms, i dont use either now..

Brucer said:
first thing i would do is wait till dark, turn out the lights and start the car, bet you have a misfire with those wire seperators.. just a guess though, i never had any luck with looms/seperators like that..

very nice looking T you have there also :welcome:

I have similar looms with MSD 8.8MM wires and I don't have a problem with a misfire.

If you are satisfied that you don't have an inductive crossfire problem with the wires, check to see if the exhaust pipe in question is hotter than the exhaust on the opposite side. (My #6 gets noticeably redder in the dark.
With my tunnel ram and Edelbrock carbs, my #6 runs leaner than the rest and pops. I have richened the rods and idle air screw and it helped some. Also a slight air leak between your manifold/head and carb/manifold can cause the same popping. Try spraying water on the manifold at the suspect leak and observe any change in RPM.

Check cylinders with raytec gun to check temps this wiil narrow it to one cylinder.Or is it on all cylinders?

I would check distributor cap for cracks or carbon tracking sometimes this happens especially with hot spark engines you will get spark following carbon down cap to ground

Try running a heat range or 2 colder on the plug for this cylinder. From what you have told us this should help.

dustytrails said:
much louder on one pipe,almost 2 times as loud as others on same side

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back