Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Price for upholstery

I would say that price varies according to your location and the quality of work of the upholsterer. On my car, I built the seat and carved out the foam then had a well known quality upholsterer stitch up the seat and side panels to my design. That was the only thing that was done outside of my home it cost me $1000. I consider it money well spent.

Here is the initial sketch.

The carving of the foam.

The final product.

I might also add that the upholsterer also installed the carpeting and made the removable floor mats.

Just remember, when you get a cheap price you usually get a cheap job. By that I mean poorer quality and/or lesser quality materials. IMHO

Jim

Last edited:
Thanks Ex junk I've always liked the interior of your ride. I was thinking something like that for this car. It has two doors. I have an "appointment" for a quote Monday!

I did mine myself for a total cost of about $500. The seats were purchased already done, I made the side & rear panels from .040 aluminum and covered them with pre-made pleated marine vinyl. The carpet came from my local trim shop. It was pretty easy and I have no skills for upholstery whatsoever, so anyone can do it, imo. It's obviously not as nice as Jim's or many others,but it's affordable.

Picture new parts 3 078.jpg I charge 2500.00 for a hand tufted upholstery job like in my t bucket 1000.00 for a job like the red car, But Ihave to find the time as Im driving my car so much now that its finished.

Took my t bucket to a Minneapolis suburban uphol. shop for a quote. Minimum 60 hours at $70 an hour! plus around a grand in material. i am going to teach myself to sew. the $1000 to $2500 charge sounds real reasonable.

There are a few posts in the "body" tech group here.

If you are a member of the HAMB, take a look in the upholstery social group, there are a bunch of How-to's in there.

Here is what I did:

Bought the best sewing machine I could afford, industrial, walking foot, with reverse. If it did not work out, I could always resell it for what I paid.

Picked up a "Automotive Upholstery Handbook" by Don Taylor. This walks you through a bunch of things, seams, cutting etc.

I then grabbed an old computer chair and stripped it down, used the old cover as templates to see how things went together and give me a better feel on how things worked.

Then I jumped in and did my first run. Go to your local "Fabricland" pick up the Marine vinyl that they always have on clearance for a few bucks a yard. Much easier screwing up on cheap stuff!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back