Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Primweld TIG Machine

fluidfloyd

I don't remember who it was that posted about the Primweld TIG machine they had just bought. I was hoping to ask them how they liked it. If they see it I would appreciate a review of their time on the arc. Thanks in advance!

One Eyed Welder George

I don't remember who it was that posted about the Primweld TIG machine they had just bought. I was hoping to ask them how they liked it. If they see it I would appreciate a review of their time on the arc. Thanks in advance!

One Eyed Welder George
I too weld one eyed... it’s challenging. Especially when I learned to weld with excellent vision.

Thanks Spanky but for some reason I think it was choppinczech. Was not a post about the welding machine but he brought it up while posting on something he was about to use it for. Could be wrong as my memory is about as bad as my eye is right now. Maybe he will spot my interest and respond. No hurry at this time as I have a pair of 300/300 amp Lincolns but both have lost the high frequency unit and finding parts is very difficult. Still good for steel but no aluminum without that unit. Old machines (1967 & 1970) and 900lbs+versus about 40lbs makes it a no brainer. Lot less power draw is a big plus too!

As for Godsmack and his TIG welder and his welding. Looks to me he has picked it up pretty quick and should be really cruising by now. Once you learn the process it's hard to go back to your earlier method. Started TIG welding around 73-74 and have very seldom used any other process.

Thanks again,
George

I too weld one eyed... it’s challenging. Especially when I learned to weld with excellent vision.

Same boat here. I do use a hard cone style eye patch at times to help with depth perception. You might have done the same thing but if not you might try it. One note, do not use a soft eye patch for any reason if your eye still is usable as every time you blink your eyeball it can be scratched. I was not aware of that till I asked for a patch from my eye doctor and he informed of that little fact. Have fun!

George

I have a primeweld tig stick plasma welder and I really like it. It's easy to use and works quite well. I did not get the AC version since I don't do aluminum and have someone to do that for me. I also like their customer service and warranty. Customer service is exceptional! The problem with your older welder could be capacitors. At that age they have probably gone bad and need to be replaced. I restore old stereo equipment as a hobby and bad capacitors are the bulk of the problems.

I have a primeweld tig stick plasma welder and I really like it. It's easy to use and works quite well. I did not get the AC version since I don't do aluminum and have someone to do that for me. I also like their customer service and warranty. Customer service is exceptional! The problem with your older welder could be capacitors. At that age they have probably gone bad and need to be replaced. I restore old stereo equipment as a hobby and bad capacitors are the bulk of the problems.

Thanks for responding. Since I do weld a lot of aluminum at times I would rather have that option then not.
As to the capacitors... I will give them a check. I do have the manuals so hopefully I will get very lucky and that will be the problem. Won't be able to do it till I finish a current project. Love these big Lincolns because they have five heat ranges and in the lowest it will go down to 5 amps and crawl. Welded a couple of soft drink cans together some years ago. Was going to just blister the side of one can by writing my name on it. High Frequency blew pin holes in it. Did not have any 1/16th tungsten on hand. Might need to go try that again.
Thanks again for the repair tip.
George

Thanks for responding. Since I do weld a lot of aluminum at times I would rather have that option then not.
As to the capacitors... I will give them a check. I do have the manuals so hopefully I will get very lucky and that will be the problem. Won't be able to do it till I finish a current project. Love these big Lincolns because they have five heat ranges and in the lowest it will go down to 5 amps and crawl. Welded a couple of soft drink cans together some years ago. Was going to just blister the side of one can by writing my name on it. High Frequency blew pin holes in it. Did not have any 1/16th tungsten on hand. Might need to go try that again.
Thanks again for the repair tip.
George
My own opinion is to repair the old unit. They don't build them that way for a reason...they last and they work very well. I'm guessing the bulk of the weight is from a Huge transformer inside. I do get the weight differemce though. I've got an old sears 300A stick welder that weighs a ton. I took it apart to clean out the inside. The transformer is a huge chunk of copper and steel. The new primeweld CT-520DP tig, stick plasma probably weighs 35-40 lbs. They alsohave a 3 year warranty.If you strike out with the repairs let me know. I have lots of sources for electronic components. I read an article about a guy whos grampa told him if you can weld 2 beer cans together you can weld anything. The guy is Troy Trepanier - Rad Rides By Troy - Custom Automotive Builder He's built some beautiful cars!

I bought one about a year ago. I have a Miller DX250 transformer welder but wanted to try an inverter so I could set the frequency to other than 60 hz. for welding AL. The PimeWeld works just fine, except for the fact that the stock torch is air cooled and gets hot like all air cooled torches can. There are water coolers on the market that may be attached to solve this problem, actually PrimeWeld sells one too.

My own opinion is to repair the old unit. They don't build them that way for a reason...they last and they work very well. I'm guessing the bulk of the weight is from a Huge transformer inside. I do get the weight differemce though. I've got an old sears 300A stick welder that weighs a ton. I took it apart to clean out the inside. The transformer is a huge chunk of copper and steel. The new primeweld CT-520DP tig, stick plasma probably weighs 35-40 lbs. They alsohave a 3 year warranty.If you strike out with the repairs let me know. I have lots of sources for electronic components. I read an article about a guy whos grampa told him if you can weld 2 beer cans together you can weld anything. The guy is Troy Trepanier - Rad Rides By Troy - Custom Automotive Builder He's built some beautiful cars!

I do want to keep one of the big Lincolns as they are great stick welders. If I can get the hi frequency unit running that's even better. Either way I still want a small inverter TIG machine mainly for the AC control. That is where they really stand out. I do have one of the big round Miller water coolers. I think they are rated for up to 500 amps. Right now I have the CK World air cooled torch with a 25 ft cable on my other big Lincoln. Much easier then moving that heavy machine around. Also have a CK-20 water cooled torch with 25 ft leads that will go back on whatever gets HF running again. Both the air and water cooled CK World torches are the most flexible torches I have ever used since I got into the welding world. And yes, these are big transformer machines. One hums so loud you unplug it while not welding. Was told that is a sign of leakage in the coil windings and no cure short of replacing the transformer. I won't do that due to work involved and cost of finding a good use unit. Last thing... I will take a picture of those two soft drink cans welded together. Probably a picture on this hard drive but finding it might be a problem. I will look at the capacitors next week when I'm back in the shop. Can't remember how many it had but I think I can access them from a small front panel. Thanks for your insight and advice.
And yes, I do know who Troy Trepanier is. Pretty crafty guy for sure but welding two aluminum cans together is not the hardest weld I've ever done. We tell you about it later. Thanks again!
George

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back