Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Proportioning valve and residual

I have a total performance bucket I bought a brake kit from them a willwood single piston with the brake lines. I put it together without the valves they were not furnished so I figured I didn't need them. Now the brakes in front are squeaking I sanded pads and rotors still squeaking some.Should I put valves in and which valves do I buy from where? I want to put the best valves in that you guys have had good success with. I do buy a lot from speedway motors. Thanks for your help.

If those are floating caliper brakes like the 175's I think you don't want residual valves. Many years ago I worked for a guy who would fix squeaking brakes (drum) by sticking a soda straw in a bag of powdered portland cement, get about an inch of powder in the end of the straw and then would push it in the brake's star adjustment hole and blow the cement in. Worked every time.

If those are floating caliper brakes like the 175's I think you don't want residual valves. Many years ago I worked for a guy who would fix squeaking brakes (drum) by sticking a soda straw in a bag of powdered portland cement, get about an inch of powder in the end of the straw and then would push it in the brake's star adjustment hole and blow the cement in. Worked every time.
That's a new one for the home remedy book! I can see how it could work, but how did he think of that?

Do you know if the pads are squeaking due to the pads rattling due to no pressure with no pedal pressure, or are they just breaking in? If the caliper is retracting and not holding the pad against the rotor, than you may need to install a residual pressure valve, 2psi, Summit sells them, so does speedway. For the Wilwoods, summit was five bucks cheaper. If the brakes are all new, you may just need to put some miles on them to break everything in. There is a membrane spray that you can buy that you apply the the back of the pads to help remedy noise, permatex and others make it. Check to see if there is resistance on the rotor with no pedal pressure, if not, you likely need the valve.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back