Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Quality car-guy programming, at last?

Kudos to the Velocity and MATV networks for finally getting it.

Drama free, ok at least pseudo-drama-free, even.

"Full Custom Garage", Ian Roussel is so laid back it's a joy to watch. And his ideas rock.

"Bitchin' Rides", only the first show aired, but it looks to be another winner. With a boss that empowers his staff instead of micromanaging.

Both of them actually cover some of the real work involved. Breath of fresh air, I'm tellin' ya'.

As much as I like bikes, I'm just about fed up with the cadre of whiners on the show about the Arizona chopper/bagger scene and now that I have found some reasonable substitutes, it's off of my list.

Ya'll got any other favorites I failed to mention? We all know which ones to hate...

I really enjoyed Ian's "Back from the Dead - the Completed Build" DVD ($5 at Wallymart or $2 on fleabay).

Sure wish we had MAVTV here. Unfortunately, the most hated company (Based on a recent poll), in the US, comcast, does not carry it. I checked Hulu and they don't carry it. It anyone sees it on line, please advise where you saw it.

...the most hated company (Based on a recent poll), in the US, comcast...
Surprise, surprise. If ever there was a company I would refuse to do business with, that would be the one.

I just can't get too interested in any of the auto/bike programs. When the credits scroll and you see those programs all have writers, the concept of reality goes right out the window. When I worked at McKinney Corp. Race Cars, we didn't have time to talk to a camera crew, or stage protracted arguments for a viewing audience, as we simply had too much work to get accomplished. Those shows are all about achieving brand identity, so the shops can make their fortunes selling apparel. Case in point - Gas Monkey Garage can now afford to partner with Kebin Kinsley's Top Fuel team? :eek: Somebody is making a lot of money.

I'm with you on these type of shows Mike. All a chassis shop that actually is building cars for customers needs is a film crew giving direction and a script to deliver while supposedly actually doing something. When Coddington was in the last few years of his show prior to his death my friend Art Morrison was building chassis's for a number of their car projects. Art and his son delivered them to Coddington a few times and said it was actually two separate work areas. One for TV and one to build cars customer ordered He also told me they were approached with a TV offer to help make them famous. He replied that he was not interested in drama or TV fame and he would never talk to his son or employees like TV expected. Had another friend that manufactures trike conversion kits that appeared on the OCC show for the advertising value. Although he did generate a number of sales he said the same thing as to two work areas. Reality is getting up everyday and getting in the trenches for work. Reality is some young soldier with Boots On The Ground swapping lead with some crazed lunatic with intent to kill you. Reality is realizing what reality actually is. That's my take on the subject.

George

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back