Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Quarter Elliptical Spring

RocknT

OK I have been noticing this Quarter Elliptical Spring setup that keeps popping up in a thread here and there and I see that Speedway carries them,
To me it is something new I have not seen it till I seen it here.
So my question is 'What is it , How hard is it to set up and could I fab one myself ?' It looks really cool (different) . Is it practical on a Bucket . I would like to see some pictures of it , I am going to change out my front spring anyway and looking at this as a option to.
Thanks

Ex-Junk has them on his car,very clean set-up and rides well.
He'll have all the info. you'd need to set them up.I might have a pic
in my files.

My Son is using them on the back of his roadster pickup. Really makes for a very clean installation and I think it will ride great. He bought it as a backhalf kit with the Posies setup, but didn't like the "prostreet" look it gave his otherwise traditional car, so he made his own mounts and brackets to simplify it somewhat.

Here are some pictures.

Don

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x4/donsrods/dansnewrearsetup001.jpg

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x4/donsrods/dansrpurearframeshot.jpg

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x4/donsrods/dansrpubedinstalled004.jpg

One thing I like about using them on the rear is the fact that they are short. You can use them as part of a 4bar set up. The springs are the bottom bar and an equal length of DOM can be used for the top bar. On the front you will still need full length hair pins or a 4 bar set up.

Ron

Don,

I'm sure you have heard this before, but that is some beautiful work you're doing there. :cool:

David

i have never set up a 1/4 elliptical setup, but i to am condidereing this type of suspension... it looks simple, and straight forward..I've done some research on it after i seen this setup on a car in bowling green..

the biggest thing would be if you have a chrome axle you need to come up with some kind of mounting bracket from where your existing spring perches mount, or some way to bolt the bracket on to your axle and locate it so it doesnt spin.. if you dont have a chrome axle and didnt care to scuff up your paint, you could drill a hole, insert a piece of tubing and weld it into the holes you drilled (Posie Quarter Elliptical Spring Kit) and that would give you a place to bolt the shackles... on your frame mounts, i would mount them parallel with the frame of course.. your spring weight, which you will want to be as close to begin with, you could remove springs with the speedway/posies kit cause i'm sure a T is pretty light compared to a full fendered car. pretty sure you adjust the final ride height with the large bolt on top Posie Quarter Elliptical Spring Kit. you dont need a panhard bar with this setup..

on a couple other forums you can find many threads on this setup, and there is a very good one on the jalopy journal forum.. alot of people use trailer springs and cut them in half. they make their own frame brackets and just use spring bolts to mount but i dont see any of them with ride height adjustment though..... you could go as far as using your spring you already have, keep it cool when you cut it, and just make a couple of 4 hole nounts and use standard 1 3/4 spring bolts..

heres a link to a pic i took of a frontend on a car using 1/4 elliptical springs and friction shocks..
http://www.tbucketeers.com/forum/vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=602&d=1213500388

Man I like this Forum you ask a question and you get all kinds of GOOD information,,None of that arm chair mechanic BS ,,
SO you dont need a panhard bar with this set up ? I like it allready :lol:
I will look for information on the hamb this evening ,,
Thanks Fellas

I posted some pics of a Zipper roadster that's here in Springfield. Might take some time to go through all of them to locate 'em but I took some anyway.

Man O man some very nice little cars there,,and some good pictures of the spring setup to ... Yeah that Yeller car is one of the one's I seen that set up..
Thanks

I got carried away and put quarter ellipticals at both ends of my car. The fronts are made up from 2 model A fronts. The rear springs came from a Pinto. I have a couple of pictures I can email to someone if they want to see.

Thanks Youngster[B/], that's the car.

Here's a pic of the front (sorry, this was the best I could get)

2589514450_a8845b4ed6.jpg

And here's the back

2588679465_75223e2935.jpg

Also, in my other albums there are some pics of another Zipper from a show in Tunica, MS.

Flickr: blackwidowsbluesville7's Photostream page 9

1396797413_df561710c1.jpg

1396797445_a9c25dd089.jpg

1396797555_dcacb1f3b2.jpg

1396797583_9ee9cab38d.jpg

Now thats what I am talking about ! I see how they did the front end on that one and a good visual picture of the rear too !
Thanks T-Odd

Great shot of the Friction Shock/Head light post HHMMMM i like that idea HHMMMMMM

Hey Turbo -T just post them right here that way we can see how you did your's ..we like pictures :welcome:

I ran quarter elliptical springs with ladder bars and a panard bar on a 40 Ford in the early 60s.
I guess the only thing that caused problems was hanging the springs from the Axel with a shackle. This made the suspension pretty loose(wheel hop). Hanging the spring directly from a bracket on the axel solved the problem.

You will find that you have almost unlimited ability to adjust for ride and car height.

RocknT said:
OK I have been noticing this Quarter Elliptical Spring setup that keeps popping up in a thread here and there and I see that Speedway carries them,
To me it is something new I have not seen it till I seen it here.
So my question is 'What is it , How hard is it to set up and could I fab one myself ?' It looks really cool (different) . Is it practical on a Bucket . I would like to see some pictures of it , I am going to change out my front spring anyway and looking at this as a option to.
Thanks

I've been following this thread with interest. But I have one question, how do you guys nail the spring rate? I am guessing you do it by placing the height adjustment bolt in a different location relative to the mounting pivot. The shorter the spring, the stiffer it gets.

Just thinking out loud.

David

I got the idea for this set up from a post on the NTBA site.
They are trailer springs ($ 8 each) cut a little past 1/2 way. I had to rearch the front springs.

Hey ouh506, that looks like lakesmod's old project. I had a bunch of pics of that setup on an old computer. There was a lakester webpage out there (now gone I think) that had a lot of pictures of it.

Thanks the more I see and read about this type of set up the more I like it,,:)

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back