Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

radiator ding

spike

I have a crunched section of radiator fins that I would like to hide. The section is about 1" high X 1.5" long right in the top dead center of the fins (see photo). I was thinking about using an emblem to hide it until I saw roosters radiator had some type of screening mounted in it that looked really cool. I'm looking for other suggestions & also, Rooster, where did you get that screen?

Thanks for all the help,
Spike

If you go to a radiator shop they have fin straighteners and can fix that.

Are tubes crushed or just the fins? if it's just the fins you can buy a radiator "comb" made for that purpose.

Russ

I have sat for hours and tried to make my old radiator fins look right again . I finally gave in and purchased a new radiator. The old one worked fantastic just looked bad. The SS screen come from one of my customers who use to use it to make filter housings. He has since lost the contract and doesnt have anymore.
<
I think he called it weaved wire or fabric wire.

I have stainless wire mesh for my rock screen. Helps to hide the bent fins on mine, but still visible if you look straight into the rad from the front. I got my screen from McMaster-Carr and mounted it per rooster's write-up last year. I'll post a picture as soon as my camera charges up! Haven't used it in awhile. Here's a link to the McMaster web page. You want the woven wire cloth.

Stainless mesh...

I've used the ''combs'' ... tedious process but very doable. I see you have a brass radiator. Is the core part of the shell or is it separate?

Ron

I've used the ''combs'' ... tedious process but very doable. I see you have a brass radiator. Is the core part of the shell or is it separate?

Ron
The core is brazed into the shell. A comb is not going to help as part of the fins are missing.

I used rooster's method of shaping the outside edges of the screen to wrap into the lip of the grill shell, then glued with construction adhesive held down with bricks. One thing I didn't do was make sure the wire fabric was still square before gluing. It's easy to rack the fabric while handling it, as it is just woven, not welded or stamped together. Not really noticeable on the car, but I know it's there. :laugh:

Attachments

• rock grill 2.jpg
    rock grill 2.jpg
    539.3 KB · Views: 58
I used rooster's method of shaping the outside edges of the screen to wrap into the lip of the grill shell, then glued with construction adhesive held down with bricks. One thing I didn't do was make sure the wire fabric was still square before gluing. It's easy to rack the fabric while handling it, as it is just woven, not welded or stamped together. Not really noticeable on the car, but I know it's there. :laugh:
My core is brazed into the brass shell & can't be removed. What do you think about using the welded wire cloth (thinking it will stay rigid) and fit a piece between the fins & the shell where it overlaps the fins? I still would need a way to fasten it.

Good to hear about straightening the fins. I have a 1.5 square inch area of fins that were flattened on the mustang rad I got from Autozone.

As for the screen mesh, Youngster sent me this radiator mesh pic off an ebay bucket many moons ago.....I really like the looks of it. Not sure if it's the same wire cloth but Youngster may know how this was done up.

Craig

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    309.1 KB · Views: 73
I'm not sure where you can find this type of screan. Guess I would start by checking farm stores and building centers. As for mounting on your brass radiator, maybe rods thru the core with friction nuts on the back.

Ron

Trying not to hijack the thread but where do you guy a radiator shell like that? This is what my radiator looks like and to me it looks like it is missing something. A shell and mesh would really look better I think.

Tbucketraddimensions.jpg

Lee, what size mesh on the screen you have?

McMaster-Carr Part Number 9656T123

Material Type Stainless Steel
Stainless Steel Type Type 304
Form Woven Wire Cloth
Shape Sheets
Woven Wire Cloth Tolerance Precision
Mesh Size Range Coarse Mesh
Mesh Size 6 x 6
Square/Rectangle Size .132"
Wire Diameter .035"
Percentage of Open Area 62.1
Sheet Width 24"
Sheet Length 24"

I'm not sure where you can find this type of screan. Guess I would start by checking farm stores and building centers. As for mounting on your brass radiator, maybe rods thru the core with friction nuts on the back.

Ron
I found that mounting anything through the core, even thin plastic straps, can and will wear a hole in those soft tubes in a short while... A ding is a road trophy, proves you drive your T, a very good thing... no biggy as I myself have many, not to worry as long as nothing is leaking :hoist:

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back