Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Radiator puller fan

Since I am a gauge watcher, I have mine switched. On highway, I keep it off, in traffic, I turn it on. Simple, but so am I.

I installed mine with a thermostat, but I find I'm happier just running it direct. That means it runs whenever the ign switch is in the 'on' position. It does have a relay.:geek:
16 Rad mount.jpg

I strongly reccomend a relay, I like thermostats controlling the relay to turn it on, off. It simplifies and automates a rather important task.

I agree about no zip ties. Why ruin a good radiator by wearing through the fins and core tubes. Zip ties look innocent but can be very abrasive under vibration conditions. Use the tabs that are on the radiator.

I used some aluminum angle and strap to mount mine. The angles and straps don't touch the core or the tanks on either end. Seems to work pretty good.

I always use a relay for the fan but I wire the relay direct to key on power. The car is quite loud and you can't hear the fan so I was worried about forgetting to turn it on. On my 56 I tried a Spal fan controller and it was a total turd so avoid that one. I ended up just using a Fan Switch from summit and hooked it to the fan relay. Then at a specific temperature it turns on. With the T's engine exposes I try to minimize any engine wiring for aesthetics.

I always use a relay for the fan but I wire the relay direct to key on power. The car is quite loud and you can't hear the fan so I was worried about forgetting to turn it on. On my 56 I tried a Spal fan controller and it was a total turd so avoid that one. I ended up just using a Fan Switch from summit and hooked it to the fan relay. Then at a specific temperature it turns on. With the T's engine exposes I try to minimize any engine wiring for aesthetics.
I've tried several aftermarket fan controllers. Some work, many are trash. I found the most reliable to be factory parts, a simple temperature switch that mounts in the cooling system, a quality relay, and pretty much forget it, it just works. I've even wired in a manual toggle switch over ride on my big inch street car, so I could turn it on when the car was shut off to avoid heat soak when it was parked for short periods of time. The last aftermarket one I tried was from Jegs, and it had a probe that went in the radiator and a controller with a potentiometer to adjust the on, off temps. It worked ok, but I didn't use it long enough to attest for its reliability.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back