Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

RANT TIME!!

PotvinGuy

Staff member
What would you like to rant about? Cars that is; no politics or religion.
My rant for today: I need a trans pan gasket, Mr. Gasket 8691. Shouldn't be too hard to find, right? I'm in the twin cities area (Minneapolis/St. Paul) with dozens of auto stores. But not one of them has it. I found an O'Reilly that said it would be a "special order" and they would call me back when they have info re availability and when I might get it. Everything is "supply chain" today.
Even my last resort Amazon failed. Guess I'll make my own, I have some gasket paper somewhere.

Rtv... but let it cure prior to torquing the pan or adding fluid. I gave up on parts stores. *#%! (No religion implied) I just order everything. I get the whole brick n mortar store thing, (not speaking of politics) but they just don’t stock stuff, plus I can always order it for less. As much as I share the mixed feelings about the likes of amazon, I can usually have most things in a couple days, sometimes same day. Pretty hard to compete with the convenience. Also, why is it that I can order the exact parts from the same seller but it’s cheaper on eBay plus free shipping? Frustrating. Jegs and summit, particularly, but others too. I used to really like rock auto, still do for some things like good old stock parts, but their shipping, especially if things come from different warehouses, kills the incentive, plus waiting a week. They are still awesome for some stuff. I got all new, old stock premium brake parts, drums, shoes, wheel cylinders, hardware, etc for my 9.2” GM front load rear end for under $100.00. Better parts than made today and awesome price. I hate their return policy. Specifically, you cannot ever speak to a Human and they won’t credit your card, they provide a on line credit. Well, my old internet provider, sbc global, went under and with it went over a hundred bucks worth of return credits... funny how the more progressed we become, the more frustrating it is to do the same old tasks.

So I searched for any TH400 pan gaskets and found 2 within 30 miles of home. Went to AutoZone first. The cretin behind the counter was heavily tattooed and pierced.
Me: Hi, I need a pan gasket for a 400 transmission.
AZ: I don't know what that is.
Me: I checked online and you have it in stock here.
AZ: I need a model and year. Only way I can do it.
Me: OK, try Chevy, 1965, truck.
AZ: Automatic or manual?
Me: Automatic. This IS a car store, right?
AZ: yeah.
Having exhausted his talents, he tilts the screen at me. There are 4 gaskets shown. I point to the one I want. He shuffles off and gets it.
Now...how come I can search their inventory online, but they can't do it in the store?

Not just parts. My rant comes as new/old members just appear when they want an answer to something they want to do or need. No intentions to look on the websites in many many threads posted to find an answer.
If you want to build anything, at least put in the time to research the subjects and look for your on answers. EXAMPLE you can build 2 t-buckets with the same set of plans and they wo not be the same in all aspects. One might need 1/8 toe in and the other 1/8 toe out to drive properly.
Rant over. I don't like lazy people. Never give up--- when you do-- you will soon die

So I searched for any TH400 pan gaskets and found 2 within 30 miles of home. Went to AutoZone first. The cretin behind the counter was heavily tattooed and pierced.
Me: Hi, I need a pan gasket for a 400 transmission.
AZ: I don't know what that is.
Me: I checked online and you have it in stock here.
AZ: I need a model and year. Only way I can do it.
Me: OK, try Chevy, 1965, truck.
AZ: Automatic or manual?
Me: Automatic. This IS a car store, right?
AZ: yeah.
Having exhausted his talents, he tilts the screen at me. There are 4 gaskets shown. I point to the one I want. He shuffles off and gets it.
Now...how come I can search their inventory online, but they can't do it in the store?
If they had it, you got lucky. I have done that only to learn that their actual inventory isn’t in sync with the web site. Napa, auto zone, advanced, O’rileys...auto zone is better than the others because it’s the hub store but that’s not a guarantee

A long time ago I used to frequent a parts store and search out the one guy who always new what you wanted. One day I asked him, "Why do you work here? You seem way to intelligent to be making a career as a parts guy." (no offense to parts people since I am one in my current position) He proceeded to tell me that he only worked part time and just happened to be there whenever I came in. He then told me that he was a full time student....at UIC school of law. Since that time, you almost always have to reach around the counter and show them what part you're looking for. Any more they're all the same. That's why I use the interweb to order parts more and more. (As a new member, I hope I don't come across as one of those guys just looking for the quick answer. And I won't take offense if anyone says I am. You guys are a great authoritative resource to me! You can't find this kind of information in books. I know, I have bought many useless books.)

Make/model/year

1923 Ford-1976 Chevy 350 truck engine and 350 turbo transmission-1976 Lincoln Town car 9" rear end. I need an adjustable brake proportion valve--+please !!

Yep! Gone are the days you could walk in and say “I need a short water pump for a small block Chevy” and get one.

Before I left Fort Worth in 2006 I stopped by the main parts suppliers warehouse and picked up both the Moog and TRW suspension catalogs along with some other various catalogs. Very good reference diagrams on the full range of American cars back into the 50s. If I have to go to one of the chain auto parts stores I take one of those catalogs with me just in case I get that know it all it ain't in the computer kids. I go out and grab my printed catalog and watch their mouth drop with I've never seen one of those! Also great for just researching deals among other things. I'm not even sure they still print them so I guard mine and never loan them out. I will look next week and get the reference information and see if they are possibly on line. Might call their tech line as well. Anytime you run across one in a yard sale, parts swap etc grab it. The ones I have are specifically suspension parts. Might cover some English sports cars but can't remember. I will keep you posted.

George

I grew up in Chicago in the 60's.
It was a great time to be a car nut. My garage (my parent's garage) was the hangout for me and 4 or 5 of my car friends. We were always working on our cars there. My father wasn't always happy about having all those damn cars and the noise around but we had fun. It was all good clean fun!
There was Skip's Drive In on North Ave just west of the city and that was where we all would hang out. We would start there, leave and drive east through Polk brothers parking lot and drive west to Russel's Roast beef and back to Skip's just keep making that loop until it was time for Skip's to close for the night. We would try to pick up girls at Skip's or wait for a couple of cars that would race down North Ave. The guy with the flashlight to get them started! The cops never seemed to bother until later the neighbors would complain about the squealing tires and noisy cars. Finally, they put a stop to all our fun! Good times while it lasted.
Now the kids with the rice burners are shutting down the express ways doing donuts out there and causing their own havoc! Damn kids!

Make/model/year

1923 Ford-1976 Chevy 350 truck engine and 350 turbo transmission-1976 Lincoln Town car 9" rear end. I need an adjustable brake proportion valve--+please !!
LOL!! And after you tell them the make model and year...you get the blank stare like a deer in the headlights!

I grew up in Chicago in the 60's.
It was a great time to be a car nut. My garage (my parent's garage) was the hangout for me and 4 or 5 of my car friends. We were always working on our cars there. My father wasn't always happy about having all those damn cars and the noise around but we had fun. It was all good clean fun!
There was Skip's Drive In on North Ave just west of the city and that was where we all would hang out. We would start there, leave and drive east through Polk brothers parking lot and drive west to Russel's Roast beef and back to Skip's just keep making that loop until it was time for Skip's to close for the night. We would try to pick up girls at Skip's or wait for a couple of cars that would race down North Ave. The guy with the flashlight to get them started! The cops never seemed to bother until later the neighbors would complain about the squealing tires and noisy cars. Finally, they put a stop to all our fun! Good times while it lasted.
Now the kids with the rice burners are shutting down the express ways doing donuts out there and causing their own havoc! Damn kids!
I grew up near chicago. Went to Skips twice with my older brother. ( I was quite young) We went there just to check out the cars. Polk Brothers and Goldblatts bring back some memories. I remember always looking for chevys or dodges dealer stickers. Mr Norns or Nickey were the hot ones if I recall.

You gotta try my method. For any post longer than a sentence or two I open Word and compose my post there, then copy and paste to this site. Works like a charm!

Grand Spaulding Dodge, Mr Norm, was the place for Mopars. I bought my 67 Dodge Coronet 440 383, 4 speed from Mr Norm himself! And then there was Nicky Chevrolet, with the backwards K! They had a great parts department with tons of speed equipment available. There was always some great hot cars there to look at! The good old days.

Christ, Indy, I just did. It worked on my old transmission, but not on my new one. Go figure that! I have a cork gasket and a paper gasket and will try them. Maybe add some gasket sealer too. And I got tired of wrenching 13 bolts by hand under the car, so now have an air ratchet and a battery ratchet.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back