Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

RE:Our School Project Begins

I answered you in a PM, Al.

Jim

View attachment 6846 Summer is Here!
This school year was like a honeymoon without the fun stuff. We have a large shop which I share with another instructor that has been there for years. You don't move into somebody else's house and take over. So we have been getting used to working with each other. But I have to say it was a good year and very good program. Regarding our progress: This year we purchased our seat belts, fuse box. From the Grainger catalog I found a remote rotary switch that will be in the engine/motor compartment with a shaft that leads into the interior and will have the knob an bezel on the dash board as “mechanical” high voltage disconnect. A conventional low voltage switch will also open to large electric contactors on the high voltage system for charging and safety in general.
The three steering arms were finally completed and we tried to get the Ackerman angle correct even though we are using the “suicide” style system. When laid out the pattern sort of looks like a Polar bear until they are bent to bolt onto the steering knuckle. We are pretty happy since there are no clearance issues and Ackerman angle is much better than just switching the arms from left to right with no regard of steering angles.
Bought a lots of fiberglass matte and cloth..out of pocket because I feel compelled to make progress. As you can see from the pictures the wooding is not finished. While I am out for the summer I want to finish an engine build and install in my daily driver (Miata)
From the pictures we did make some progress. The motor, transmission and all the batteries and the battery charger are all in there final locations with the proper baskets.
I felt like we had a lot of weight in batteries- 880lbs. Last week I did a class that included the BMW 1 series converted into a PEV-plug in electric vehicle. It has 1800lbs. in batteries. They are using this as a test bed.
Today I was looking at PotvinGuy’s rebuild and I like his seat design, might make a single bench though since I am still considering adjustable seat track. What a great forum!

Attachments

• IMG_0817 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0817 - Copy.JPG
    353.3 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_0855 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0855 - Copy.JPG
    224.9 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_0857 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0857 - Copy.JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_0858 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0858 - Copy.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_0863 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0863 - Copy.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 130
Hi, Lee. I just discovered this thread and it interests me for several reasons. First, of course, it's about building a hot rod that's a little different. Second, I am a retired Technology Education teacher (Woodworking, Auto Mechanics, Auto Body Repair, Engineering Technology, and Construction Trades) and I know where you're coming from in reference to being pushed out by other programs. Finally, I have an interest in electric vehicles. During my last 8 years as a teacher I got my students involved in Electrathon racing (www.electrathonamerica.org). During the last few years, with the increasing numbers of electric and hybrid cars, Electrathon has become even more relevant. Also, now it has been approved as a competition for Skills USA here in Florida. I retired from teaching two years ago, but I am still very active in Electrathon. Instead of a team mentor, I am now a car owner and driver (oldest competing driver in Florida - 64) and I also build cars for myself and for sale. If it's OK with you, you should bring your roadster to some of our events and put it on display. Most of our events are in the Tampa area and take place on Saturdays during the school year. Be careful, though. People who come to our races often end up becoming participants! This stuff is addictive! I have attached a pic of my two current cars and a pic from a race back in January.

Jim R.

100_1108a.JPG07a.jpg

Hi, Lee. I just discovered this thread and it interests me for several reasons. First, of course, it's about building a hot rod that's a little different. Second, I am a retired Technology Education teacher (Woodworking, Auto Mechanics, Auto Body Repair, Engineering Technology, and Construction Trades) and I know where you're coming from in reference to being pushed out by other programs. Finally, I have an interest in electric vehicles. During my last 8 years as a teacher I got my students involved in Electrathon racing (www.electrathonamerica.org). During the last few years, with the increasing numbers of electric and hybrid cars, Electrathon has become even more relevant. Also, now it has been approved as a competition for Skills USA here in Florida. I retired from teaching two years ago, but I am still very active in Electrathon. Instead of a team mentor, I am now a car owner and driver (oldest competing driver in Florida - 64) and I also build cars for myself and for sale. If it's OK with you, you should bring your roadster to some of our events and put it on display. Most of our events are in the Tampa area and take place on Saturdays during the school year. Be careful, though. People who come to our races often end up becoming participants! This stuff is addictive! I have attached a pic of my two current cars and a pic from a race back in January.

Jim R.

View attachment 6879View attachment 6880

Thanks for the Invite. First that tube chassis Track T of your is great. After I read your thread I had to check out that Electrathon racing and I now have a link. My wife can't wait for me to finish the project I am working on now. Since there is no cooling system on this electric car we are going to use a Track T nose without the opening. Our project is at Ridge Career Center, Winter Haven FL. Lee

Thanks, Lee. I started on my roadster 5 years ago after finishing my coupe. I went "great guns" on it for the first couple of years and then got sidetracked. The complete build thread on it, so far, is here:
http://www.clubhotrod.com/hot-rod-talk/30400-another-build-thread-yep-my-track-style-t.html
One of the things that got me sidetracked off the roadster is Electrathon. I had been working with my students on it when things suddenly took off. We went from two races a year to nine and two of my cars got sold (folks made me offers I couldn't refuse), so it was a mad scramble to keep up. I had a list of "honey-do's" after I retired, but I'm pretty much caught up now and (finally!) back to work on the roadster. As for Electrathon, it's just pure fun and it can be very challenging. It's probably the only type of racing that hasn't yet been ruined by money. If you're curious, here's the build thread on one of my "Silver Bullet" cars: http://www.clubhotrod.com/hot-rod-talk/41183-electrathon-different-kind-hotrod.html
I really like the concept of your electric roadster and am watching with interest. I have frequently thought of building an electric powered "grocery getter" just to use around town, but making it a hotrod was something I hadn't considered. Keep up the good work!

Lee,
How about an update? Any progress on the electric roadster?
Hey meangreen I did not mean to leave you hanging. It is Summer time, out of school but workin' on the Honey Do list.

Last year 2012/2013 we just got little things done. We I thought we had our DIY steering column done but then realized the steering we bought purchased is too big. We are using a conventional angle on the column and when we went to locate the master cylinder and brake pedal, er not enough room for LEGS? Darn we notch the dash 2-3 inches and still need to buy a smaller diameter steering wheel. It is my fault since I have no clue how much effort it take to steer so I erred on the big side.
I did use to have a 63 Plymouth (remember those?) Belvedere without power steering and my wife could drive it just fine-with radial tires.
Never used biased ply again, except maybe my tractor.

School starts again on Monday for teachers and students follow next week. Still have not finished wooding (foam) in the body shell either.
All our battery boxes are installed and we figured out our retail custom battery charger which is mounted in the trunk and have been keeping the batteries up with that now. Have to charge them first thing Monday when I get to school.
One of the Welding instructor has been very helpful in getting things done.
Got to get this car done!

Lee

We are half way through the first quarter of the school year. Due to student schedules I had extra time to organize and direct work and planning for our Electric '27 T. We have ideas for our transmission tunnel. Made our gear shift lever on our Hurst shifter on Ford top loader 3 speed come up through floor in center of the center of the floor. If it came straight up it would between the drivers knees. Awkward. We have ideas on our bench seat that will be on adjustable tracks. We now have steering and almost have the brakes done. Worked on the brake line plumbing this week.

Attachments

• IMG_2547.JPG
    IMG_2547.JPG
    227.3 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_2546.JPG
    IMG_2546.JPG
    427.6 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0857 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0857 - Copy.JPG
    106.5 KB · Views: 81
Pretty damn cool. Will be really interesting to see this thing run.

Its also great to see at least someone still has a shop class. Up here schools seem to class them as "To expensive" yet they continually upgrade to the latest apple "i" whatever that comes out.

Thanks Keeper. I hope this is our year to start showing it off even before paint and upholstery if it is running. My Fantastic Mother in-law lives just north of you in Midland, Ontario.

Hi Lee,
Glad to see you're back at it on the roadster.:thumbsup: I finally have my track-T on the road and it's a barrel of fun to drive.:D

In other news, Electrathon America is holding the first ever Electrathon National Championships in December at Disney World Speedway (in the parking lot)! It's taking place as part of a "green fair" with lots of other stuff. If you can arrange it, you might want to bring some of your students to this. It encompasses everything from robotics to alternative fuel vehicles. Lots to do and see. If you're interested, let me know and I will PM the info to you.:cool:

One of the things we wanted to do as built this 27 T was to save space in the interior by not have a bell housing and conventional flywheel.
We made a small 3.5" thick flywheel only the size of the standard clutch hub...without the clutch disc. With the electric motor torque all we will use is 2nd gear on our three speed and reverse. Some that tried this found it did not work without a pilot bearing or something to support the transmission input shaft. Our motors shaft was drilled for this purpose. You can see from the pictures without the flywheel and clutch hub the input shaft fits right into the motor shaft...convenient. We are using a Fenner Drives Trantorque® & B-LOC® Keyless Locking Device/coupling to connect the motor to our tiny flywheel.
Today we mounted the Speed controller and the DC/DC converter that keep a small 12v tractor battery charged as the two large high voltage contractors are get turned on through the 12 system and ignition switch and not in the picture is a large rotary cam switch to mechanically disconnect the High voltage system for safety and only a 1/4" shaft comes up to the dash to a large red and yellow knob.
Since the car is school property I am trying to make it J.Q. Public SAFE.
Street Rodder Magazine has expressed interest in writing about the electric power train....When the project is FINISHED. We're trying.

Attachments

• IMG_2550 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_2550 - Copy.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_2552 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_2552 - Copy.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_2559 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_2559 - Copy.JPG
    421.2 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_2684 copy.JPG
    IMG_2684 copy.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 45
Our 27 T went to it's first Expo called WE3 sponsored by Polk Count FL Work Force Education. It is not running but very close. Audience was about 8000 Elementary and Middle School Students.
It lasted three days, my voice barely lasted one.
We discovered we need to shorten our steering arm. Steering is too slow.
The double looks when people realized it was Electric was very cool as were the looks on the way to the airport on the trailer.
This should work well as a recruiting tool.

Attachments

• 20131118_154742 - Copy.jpg
    20131118_154742 - Copy.jpg
    367.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 20131119_122501 - Copy.jpg
    20131119_122501 - Copy.jpg
    311.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 20131121_102114 - Copy.jpg
    20131121_102114 - Copy.jpg
    290.8 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Hi Lee,
You bet! That thing is a great recruiting tool. When I was teaching Engineering Tech I used our Electrathon cars and some race videos as recruiting tools whenever the local Junior High kids came for their yearly visit. They drew lots of good attention from students and their teachers, too.:thumbsup:

Just to give you an update - The "national" event at Disney got cancelled for this year. There was some problem with arranging a space that was suitable to both Disney AND Electrathon America. Maybe next year... Our season opener, back on Nov. 16, at HCC got postponed until January because of rain, so our first race of the season will take place at Middleton High School on Dec. 7. I know that's short notice, but I think it's fairly close to you. Come on out and take a look if you can!:cool:

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back