Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Rearend housing id

A good friend of mine had a 57 Chevy/409/4 spd with the original rearend.
I think the 57 rearend is much the same as this.
He lost the spider gears many many times with a hard launch.
I wonder was this one simply welded up into a "Lincoln locker" to remove that weak link?

Might be possible to buy an aftermarket posi.
It's a cool looking housing and a bit different than normal, which is always good!

Yea, and it is in there and chrome, which doesn't really matter to me, except the front end and most suspension parts are too. In looking at the axles, they look too nice to be original. I suspect they are aftermarket. The car was built by a speed shop and everything so far has been new old school parts or aftermarket stuff from back in the day. Back then, those parts were common and still available from the manufacturer. I saw some aftermarket posi units advertised with eaton style posi units. The one I looked at was not much more than the ford or other GM units. On a good note, I looked up brake parts for the impala and rock auto has a drum kit for around 100.00, so I may just go that route, depending on what the center section turns out to cost to upgrade and run it. I can see how it works out and if it disappoints, it can be a later upgrade. I am not sure how the buggy spring is going to workout either, so there may be a complete rear redesign for a future indever.

Well I still have part of the one in the picture. It was a posi but the ring and pinion is shot. We set up the rear end before we new the ring and pinion was shot and had to cut all of our mounts off of it. Long story short my housing is shot, I still have the center section and axles but will need a housing to sell the parts. Glad I was able to help identify your problem.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back