Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Registering a kit car in Maryland

Hello guys my T was built in 07. What kind of issues will I run in to? Apparently I can't register it as a street rod as it has to be 25 years old or older. Anybody have these types of issues before?

Evey state is different. In Missouri mine is registered as a 1923 Ford Truck (Historic Vehicle), though the Highway Patrol examination report lists it as a "fiberglass kit." I have historic license plates which are exempt from annual vehicle inspections. :)thumbsup:)

Your best bet is to talk to someone in the Md Division of Motor Vehicles, or a friendly Highway Patrol officer to learn what is required.

(PS - This may help: Vehicle Registration and Titling Questions - Pages (maryland.gov)

Might try this: Contact - MDOT MVA Feedback Form
Ask them how you title/register a car that was built from the ground up. That is, it has no VIN and no original parts.
It used to be easier; you could buy a title out of New York state (wrecking yards kept all the titles going way back) and just exchange it for a title in your state. But I don't think that is possible any more.

Last edited:

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back