Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Remember this scene . . . ?

When I moved to California in 1985 I landed in Modesto. McHenry Avenue was still a pretty good cruising scene.

Then the city council outlawed cruising in 1993.

I lived in Circleville, Ohio in the early ‘80’s and it was one of the notorious cruise towns. All weekend long. It was a awesome time to be alive. The city shut it down, now the town is overrun with drugs and crime, nothing for the youth to do.

I grew up in Chicago in the 60's. On North Ave, west of the city, there was Skip's Drive in. We would cruise through there. Pull out of Skip's, go east to Polk Brothers, turn around, go back west to some other burger joint who's name I can't remember, drive through their parking lot, back east on North Ave, through Skips again and repeat over and over all night long. The police never bothered us unless somebody would be doing too many burnouts on the street or some guys were drag racing on North Ave. That went on for a number of years until the whole cruise thing was shut down!!!
Lost for ever!!!

In San Diego county before 2020, there was the Tuesday cruise night in Chula Vista, Wednesday night in El Cajon, Thursday night in La Mesa, and Friday night in Escondido. The first three typically drew 200+ cars each night, on Friday in Escondido over 400 cars. All nights were pre-1974 vehicles only. I have heard that El Cajon and Escondido have resumed, don't know about the other two.

Back in the 70s, when I had my 33/3window, we would cruise the "restless ribbon" in Tulsa. Back then we would sometimes trade our hot rod with someone else that we didn't really know, for 30 minutes or more. Never had a problem. It was cool to see your own car going up and down the ribbon. My, how times have changed. This all came to a stop when the younger bunch stated doing burn outs in the parking lots with a hundred or more stand within a couple of feet of the burn out cars holding them from moving forward as much as they could. Dum de dum DUMB.

In Stockton California it was cruising the Avenue on friday & saturday night. Pacific Ave ( the avenue ) stretched for a 2 or 3 miles & it ran north & south. Sometimes we would drive to Modesto ( mo town) & cruise Mc Henry Boulevard ( made famous by American Graffiti movie ).

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back