Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Removing glue-on mirror

Track T-4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
How do you remove an interior glue-on rearview mirror from the glass? I think there was a thread on this a while back but I haven't been able to find it.

Bruce

How do you remove an interior glue-on rearview mirror from the glass? I think there was a thread on this a while back but I haven't been able to find it.

Bruce

I would suggest contacting a reliable auto glass shop in your area. They have to do this type of thing on a daily basis.

Jim

I've glued a lot of them back on but never taken one off a windshield. This is taken from the "Saturday Mechanic" in "Popular Mechanics" Magazine.

"Then you'll need to remove the button from the glass. You might be able to shave it off with that razor blade. If it won't come off readily, here's a trick: Take a crescent wrench and "unscrew" the button from the glass. It'll pop off with a surprisingly gentle amount of force."

I went to the local glass shop and asked about this and was told there is no reliable way to do this without risking breaking your glass.

So, the mirror in my wife's Subaru fell off. I made the simply mistake of trying to adjust it one day when I had her car.

The second mistake was thinking... that was thinking a carefully placed little tap with a plastic hammer (Ford Wrench) would seat it properly.

Yup. I cracked the windshield and then the mirror fell off again.

I suspect you're at the same risk when approaching the winshield with an adjustable wrench (several sixteenths wrench - also available in metric for working on Eurocopters).

Super Glue makes a Super Glue Remover (catchy name, eh?) but I don't know if it would work on the mirror buttons.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back