Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Restarting long idled motor

I have a turbocharged 231 crate motor, bought new many years ago, run for a few hours, then stored till now. What is the best method to bring this motor back to useable condition? Electronics were the problem: Are there stand alone systems available now? Is changing from quadrajet to throttle body fuel injection a solution? This is the project

Lenny

if it has sat for that long you will probably need to change out a gasket set. They get old and dry and become brittle. Since you have to do that I would open the motor up. Squirt some oil in each cylinder and let it set. Then put a drill on the oil pump and get some oil pressure built up. Crank it over by hand a few times. Pull the valve springs and check them on a valve spring scale or just replace them since they are pretty cheap. Replace the valve seals. After you get the motor buttoned up I would run a compression test, just as a sanity check. Everything good then fire it up like you would break in a new motor keeping an eye on oil pressure and temp.

I think i would add about two squirts of oil from an oil can to each cyl then spin the distributor and check the oil pressure. I added a cheap mech gauge externaly spin the dist shaft with a bolt on adapter or remove the distrib (Mark it first) and use a shaft for spinning an oil pump. Run the motor and let it come to temp. Shut down let it cool a bit and check compression. If the comp is down this may make a dif on what you want to do. I will bet its fine and ready to get the summer fun started.

Yea man.....do what Rooster 57 said.....he's got it by the 'Goobers!':cool:

I agree get it good and oiled and see what happenes.very cool project.efi might be kinda hard to find but if you could find a t-type or even grand nat. that someone is modifing and get there stock parts.

My 327 has sat for over 20yrs. I filled it will oil last week and have a small leak in the front seal. A friend told me to dress it down with brake fluid, and it would expand and seal. Also, I put six quarts inton my turbo-350 and it is kinda like me and leaks at both ends. My new mechanic arrives tomorrow and we will see what happens. I am getting anxious, as I am now ging on 14months.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back