Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Reverse Corvair steering box

RPM

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Sponsor
I have several of these boxes in stock $239 and I'll pay the shipping. To the lower 48 states. These are not just reversed but rebuilt, new bushings, bearings and seals as needed, and of course new fresh grease.These are the iron boxes. I have several aluminum boxes also $239 for them and I'll pay the shipping on them as well.

cboxiron2.jpg

Ron...You wouldn't have an extra side cover for an aluminum box? The lash adjustment threads are stipped in my swap meet box.

Ron

Thanks Ron but i just thought if you had an extra one.... I sure wish people would use the right tools to remove the steering arm. That's a tip for those of you buying off e-bay, ask if the arm has been off. If they don't use a puller, they usually damage the threads in the side cover.

Buying one of RPM's boxes is a good deal because it's been rebuild by some one who knows what he's doing.

Ron

Please could someone tell me if you can use a standard (not reversed) Covair box on a RHD T or will it pull when it should be pushing? I can't get my head round which bit is reversed and which way round they sit in standard car.

Thanks

Pete

RPM said:
RHD meens right hand drive? I am out of steering boxes at the moment, but should have some in, in the next couple of days. I will look into that for you and report back.

Yes, right hand drive, sorry if that wasn't clear. I'd be grateful if you could have a look.

Pete, I got a stock box in today. I think it might work out for you. With the steering box mounted on top of the right frame rail. The pitman arm will be away from the motor and pointed up. When you would turn the steering wheel to the right, the top of the pitman arm will go toward the front of the car. Pushing the right front steering arm forward and making the wheels turn to the right. NOW will you have enough clearence with the pitman arm pointed up? Will it clear the headers if they stick out over the frame? I am not sure what engine you will be using or what kind of exhaust system you are going to use. If I can help in any other way just ask......Thanks Ron :D

RPM said:
Pete, I got a stock box in today. I think it might work out for you. With the steering box mounted on top of the right frame rail. The pitman arm will be away from the motor and pointed up. When you would turn the steering wheel to the right, the top of the pitman arm will go toward the front of the car. Pushing the right front steering arm forward and making the wheels turn to the right. NOW will you have enough clearence with the pitman arm pointed up? Will it clear the headers if they stick out over the frame? I am not sure what engine you will be using or what kind of exhaust system you are going to use. If I can help in any other way just ask......Thanks Ron :D

Thanks Ron that's a very clear description of what's going on. I'm going to need the pitman arm on the bottom so the steering link runs parallel with the four bar otherwise I'll get bump steer. My current car had the same setup when I bought it and it wasn't good.

Shame because those aluminum boxes do look nice.

Thanks again for your help. Pete

Ron I have a corvair streering box and it seems the splines on the shaft are slightly damage is there a way to clean them up or do you have a new one that would work for mine.

which shaft...input or out?

Geo27T said:
Ron I have a corvair streering box and it seems the splines on the shaft are slightly damage is there a way to clean them up or do you have a new one that would work for mine.

Which shaft and which box do you have, cast iron or aluminum?

I can't tell from the picture that anything is wrong with the splines, I am sure they are if you say they are I just can't see. Are you trying to put the pitman arm on? There are 4 master splines in it that won't let it go on except in one of those 4 locations. To install it some other way, and you most always have to. You have to take a small dies grinder and remove those master splines. ......Could this be the problem?:)

I just have the pitman arm just hanging there just to keep it out of the way right now. The splines where the pitman are goes are fine and are grounded out are there master splines on the other splines. If so how would I know witch ones would they be?

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back