Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Reversed Corvair steering boxes

RPM

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Sponsor
We have gotten in several reversed Corvair steering boxes. I have had quite a few calls and emails about them.

I have an assortment of cast and aluminum ones. I have 2 cast iron ones with the short spline.

I have a box from Total and its not splined on the steering side, what would it take to get it splined? Would I have to disassemble the box

The shaft would have to be changed out for one with a spline. Did you not get a ujoint with it?

The ones we built for Total were machined to .600 and had a hole for a roll pin.

Cutting serrations is kind of a slow process. How about making it a double D style and use that style of u-joint? Just a couple of passes with an end mill and a hole. You could even hand grind them if your careful to get a tight fit.

CorvairSteeringBoxDDShaft.jpg

GAB said:
Cutting serrations is kind of a slow process. How about making it a double D style and use that style of u-joint? Just a couple of passes with an end mill and a hole. You could even hand grind them if your careful to get a tight fit.

CorvairSteeringBoxDDShaft.jpg

That would work, but where would you get a u joint to fit it?

No it didnt come with a joint but a slide coupler and the box comes with a pin already installed. The only thing is that you can only use their column and the have no more. I just like the splines better

TexasT said:
No it didnt come with a joint but a slide coupler and the box comes with a pin already installed. The only thing is that you can only use their column and the have no more. I just like the splines better
Ron(RPM) has the prints for almost all of Totals stuff ask him i bet he would make you one.

TexasT said:

You could always key the coupler and the shaft, then drill thru the collar, then tap it and dimple the shaft for a setscrew.............

I am running in to a problem finding the right size coupling, My coloum is Chevy 1" splined and corvair shaft is 5/8" round , I did notice the coloum shaft has a 1/2" hole in it , Do you think it would be safe to drill it out to 5/8" and slide it onto the corvair shaft and drill a hole thru both and use a nut and bolt

I think you need a u joint the runout would be to much when you get the column where u want it.

I really don't like drilling through steering shafts as it greatly reduces the torsional strength. Just as bad is cutting a slot for a keyway. Keyway slots do not like sudden impact loads (speed bumps, pot holes etc) and can shear out the slot. U-joints or rag joints really are the best design choice. That said, I don't care much for set screws that hold them in place. Several companies now offer joints that can be tightened down so as to pinch the splined shaft. These joints are available in mixed spline, double-D and othe popular combinations. Buy like your life depended on it.

George

If you already have the u-joint then make a bushing to go from 1"to 5/8"slide the bushing into the u-joint drill a hole for the set screw then your in business.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back